Need Advice - 99 Genesis will not rev

I have a 99 Genesis 1200 with carbs. Starting a year or so ago it starting surging at WOT where the RPMs would go from 5500 ish to 7500 ish. It just wouldn't run right.

Had the carbs professionally rebuilt - other than starting a little better, it really didnt help.

Just had the ingnition update kit prefessionally installed - it no longer surges, but will not rev past 5800. That is at WOT on glass smooth water.

Any thoughts?

Any other ideas on what to check?

thanks everyone.

Also - I replaced the fuel lines and sparkplugs

I just finished up a Genesis project. In my restoration of the ski, I had 2 issues that caused it to run at low RPM's.

1) one of the spark plug wires was not snapped down, and burnt. That showed up as a miss.

2) After rebuilding the carbs, the engine was running smooth, but was only peaking at 5500 rpm. Once back to the shore, I found one of the spark plugs was cold. I pulled that carb, and the screw vibrated out of the jet plate, and the diaphragm was being held, so no fuel was flowing to that cyl.

With problem #2, it was running smooth, and still had power... but it wouldn't break 5500~5600 rpm. You may want to run the engine for 30 seconds or so... and then grab the metal base of the spark plug, and make sure they are all getting warm.

Just because the carbs were rebuilt by a "Pro"... sometimes something gets overlooked. (look at my sig line)

If those are the types of potential issues I'm dealing with, my guess is I shouldn't ride the thing until I find the gremlin?

fuels lines vacalm lines,

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by sdrake View Post
    I have a 99 Genesis 1200 with carbs. Starting a year or so ago it starting surging at WOT where the RPMs would go from 5500 ish to 7500 ish. It just wouldn't run right.

Had the carbs professionally rebuilt - other than starting a little better, it really didn't help.

Just had the ignition update kit professionally installed - it no longer surges, but will not rev past 5800. That is at WOT on glass smooth water...
    Check cylinder compression, just to be sure the problem isn't mechanical.
    All spark plugs out, throttle held wide open.

As Dr. Honda says, check that all three cylinders are running at about the same temperature. A cool or cold cylinder indicates it is not producing power.

Make sure the correct spark plugs are installed.

Ok - Checked the compression - less than 2lb difference in cylinders. All cylinders seem to be the same temp when feeling the plugs. Also started the engine on a single cylinder under no load on the hose... no difference at all per cylinder when running on one. (I know thats not the best idea in the world, but I'm running out of ideas)

Spark plugs are correct.

All fuel lines and vac lines are new.

Any additional thoughts?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sdrake View Post
    ...Just had the ignition update kit professionally installed - it no longer surges, but will not rev past 5800. That is at WOT on glass smooth water...
    I don't think there is an 'Ignition Update Kit' for the 1200 engines. The Ignition Update Kits were only for the smaller displacement domestic engines (1996-1999).

What exactly was installed?
    Part numbers?

I talked to randy at Watcon and he suggested I needed part #2873356 (update kit had a stator and black control box both made in Germany)). I bought it from John Zigler in Wisconsin.
    The part numbers on the individual peices were the same as what I took off the ski.

I hope I didn't just waste $450.

Any other thoughts?

+1
    The replacement CDI had the same part number as the original?
    Any hand marked numbers on either one?

Try grounding ONE plug wire at a time, and see what max RPM you get on the water. Should be the same regardless of which two cylinders are running. If not, then one cylinder is weak for some reason.

Also look at the piston wash. If the wash patterns are different or all black, then there is a carb issue.

Check spark plug wires and coils for correct ohms. Try new spark plugs, just in case (correct NGK part number, of course)

Thread Information