Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My Hour meter reset??

Hi All,

OK... I know the hour meter in the MFI is not able to be reset... but I was just playing with my Genesis, and the hour meter is now reading 2.9 hrs.

When I picked it up... it was reading 79 hrs, and I believed that it was just a low hour ski. The engine is VERY clean, It has full compression, and it had some electrical gremlins, so it had been sitting.

I guess it really doesn't matter to me... but I guess I'm making this post as a warning that if you are going to buy a low hour Polaris... the gauge may be lying about the actual time.

And... before anyone asks... I have no idea how it got reset. I have had the gauge unplugged, and the battery disconnected multiple times as I was working on it... but I noticed the clock reset, after I changed the LR505. Since this is a "New to me" ski, I thought I was looking at a "Trip time", but now I realize, it's the regular hr meter.

Is this a fluke thing, or is this known to happen?

it has been known to happen . from what i have read , no one can pin point that exact cause , but it seems if the battery is unplugged for to long , or if maybe you hook up ground first , and bump the positive to many times when rehooking up it can cause issues .

+1
    The funny thing is if you ever hook it up to the Polaris software it will show the "real" hours of the ski. When I got my virage the mfi showed 2 hours on the ski. Once hooked up to the computer it showed 26.

Quote Originally Posted by retro View Post
    The funny thing is if you ever hook it up to the Polaris software it will show the "real" hours of the ski. When I got my virage the mfi showed 2 hours on the ski. Once hooked up to the computer it showed 26.
    What software are you referring to and can I buy it out there somewhere these days?

Tony posted a craigslist link for the software in the classifieds, I think it might have sold already though.

Quote Originally Posted by thester71 View Post
    Tony posted a craigslist link for the software in the classifieds, I think it might have sold already though.
    Thanks. I figured it would be hard to come by.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by retro View Post
    The funny thing is if you ever hook it up to the Polaris software it will show the "real" hours of the ski. When I got my Virage the MFI showed 2 hours on the ski. Once hooked up to the computer it showed 26.
    The hour counters on both MFD and MFI displays can be reset to zero hours. There is a method (unknown to me) for doing so using the MFD front panel.

This same hour meter reset can be accidentally triggered by some sequence of battery connect and disconnect. Unexpected hour meter resets often occur around the time the battery connection or other electrical system work is happening.

For the carburetor engines, the only hour meter is in the display itself. The CDI does not have an hour meter.

For the fuel injected engines, the EMM engine computer maintains a separate hour counter, which is unaffected by any reset of the display counter. The EMM information can be accessed using the Polaris diagnostic software on a laptop computer.

In any case, displays can be swapped between PWC. A buyer should never rely on the hour counter display. With used PWC, the only reliable measure is the actual mechanical condition of the engine and the rest of the PWC.

A well maintained and good condition engine (almost regardless of the running hours) can be more desirable than a low hour, poorly maintained engine with possible rust or internal issues.

There are no shortcuts when it comes to evaluating and checking a used PWC. You actually have to do the checks and inspections. Low hours is not a guarantee of anything.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    The hour counters on both MFD and MFI displays can be reset to zero hours. There is a method (unknown to me) for doing so using the MFD front panel.
    Since you know a method of reseting it... is there a method to put the hours back on it? As you said... mechanical condition is more important than hours... but I'd like to have it be correct.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Honda View Post
    .. is there a method to put the hours back on it? ... I'd like to have it be correct.
    The only method I know of is to feed a simulated RPM signal into the MFD until the hour counter gets to where you want it.

I have done this with an electronic AC signal generator on the workbench. Displayed RPM must be over 1,000RPM, so the feed signal on the Yellow wire must be over 100Hz

+1
    I heard of a guy who had a genisis and the hour meter was reset to 0 on the mfi but the ski had 150 according to the emm. He said he sent both the emm and mfi to dfi and they fixed it for them. I don't know how true that is but that's what he said.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information