Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Think I'm touching the rev limiter

Got the stage 1 parts fitted and did some runs with the stock prop/ pitch. I couldn't actually feel the rev limiter but when I would glance down at my TT it would read from 7780+ and then down to 7400, then back up to 7780+, and back down, and so forth. The ski wouldn't do this on every run but the majority of them. Does this sound like the rev limiter kicking in??

The TT updates a little slow which is why I never actually saw 7800 (rpm at which the rev limiter kicks in)

I'll try the 13/23 skat on friday. See build thread for updates!

+1
    Sounds more like the boost limiter to me.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hitman View Post
    Sounds more like the boost limiter to me.
    I do not have a boost guage installed so I guess it would be hard to determine for sure. What makes you think its the boost limiter vs the rev limiter? I will say I did NOT notice any heatsoak with the new parts so the stock IC seems to be doing a great job. Air was 90* and water was around 80*

+1
    Have someone stand on the bank/boatramp as you go screaming past at wot. They'll hear the motor popping which means it's hitting the rev limiter.
    Put prop in and do the same. Hopefully your revs will be down below that limiter.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunna View Post
    Have someone stand on the bank/boatramp as you go screaming past at wot. They'll hear the motor popping which means it's hitting the rev limiter.
    Put prop in and do the same. Hopefully your revs will be down below that limiter.
    I'll give it a go on thursday. I did not heat it "pop" while riding but it would be hard to hear because of the exhaust and wind screaming by my head

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeFZR View Post
    I do not have a boost guage installed so I guess it would be hard to determine for sure. What makes you think its the boost limiter vs the rev limiter? I will say I did NOT notice any heatsoak with the new parts so the stock IC seems to be doing a great job. Air was 90* and water was around 80*
    Becasue a rev limiter doesn't kick you back down 300+ rpm from the actual limiter. But the boost limiter kicking in and closing your throttle plate until manifold pressure is reduced would kick you back down that far.

Think about it. Once your rpms went back down to around 7400 and you still had the throttle pinned, did they sit there, or keep bouncing around?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeFZR View Post
    I'll give it a go on thursday. I did not heat it "pop" while riding but it would be hard to hear because of the exhaust and wind screaming by my head

if you are looking forward while wot you wont be able to hear it popping cause the wind noise wont let you, turn your head slightly sideways while still looking forward and if theres any popping sound from hitting the limiter youll be able to hear it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 305coco View Post
    if you are looking forward while wot you wont be able to hear it popping cause the wind noise wont let you, turn your head slightly sideways while still looking forward and if theres any popping sound from hitting the limiter youll be able to hear it.
    Unless your 80% deaf

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 305coco View Post
    That's exactly what I was thinking reading this thread. The harder you are on the RPM rev limiter the more noticeable the "popping" will be but I had to turn my head to be able to hear it (FF exhaust helps). I actually changed my plugs when it happened to me as I thought the popping was a bad plug.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 5001craig View Post
    That's exactly what I was thinking reading this thread. The harder you are on the RPM rev limiter the more noticeable the "popping" will be but I had to turn my head to be able to hear it (FF exhaust helps). I actually changed my plugs when it happened to me as I thought the popping was a bad plug.
    yep ff exhaust makes it even more noticeable, also if you stand on shore and let someone take it for a run you can hear the popping clearly as they pull away

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information