Thread: Seafoam

Seafoam

Hey everyone I'm new here. I was just wondering if I can use seafoam on a 95 Polaris SLX?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    You can use it, but I will bet it doesn't solve any problems you may be having.

I use seafoam in my outboard. When I rebuilt an old outboard it was the only thing I could find that could actually clean the carbon buildup off the pistons. That said when working on my SLX780 engine it doesn't seem like carbon buildup is an issue. If you look at all the pictures of torn down engines you don't see alot of carbon buildup. I don't run any seafoam in my skis.

Here's something to think about...........

If you are putting a solvent in the fuel that is strong enough to clean carbon from the combustion chamber, and clean varnish from the carbs.... what do you think it's doing to the small amount of oil that is keeping your engine from eating it self??

4-stroke... ok. 2-stroke... (IMO) very bad idea.

Not to mention, if you are having fuel problems... you are also not transporting oil into the engine. Once again... IMO... fix the problem properly before you kill the engine.

Bing-A-Ding-Ding-Ding, Brrrrrap! Brrrrrrrrrap!!! Polaris_Nut#1's Avatar
    +1
    Polaris used to sell a product called carbon cleaner years ago when I bought my SL 750. I wonder what was in it?

+1
    Personally, I think seafoam is a great agent to keep things clean, but ist's not a miracle agent. If you are having problems, it's best to pull the carbs and find out why you are having the problems. Seafoam is a great maintenance preventor, but not a cure all. I do agree that there is a big difference between 2 and 4 cycle applications. JMO FWIW.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Polaris_Nut#1 View Post
    Polaris used to sell a product called carbon cleaner years ago when I bought my SL 750. I wonder what was in it?
    Depending on the engine and operating conditions, carbon cleaner is still something that may need doing now and then.

Outboard 2-stroke engines often develop carbon build up, especially in the piston ring grooves where it can bind the rings and damage the cylinder walls.

The better carbon cleaning products don't work through the fuel system, they are directly introduced into the combustion chamber through the spark plug holes. The chemicals are allowed soak into the carbon for multiple hours (overnight), then the engine is run to blow the dissolved carbon residue out. The key is to use a really good product, and allow it enough time to fully dissolve the carbon.

if you have older fuel and use seafoam in a mikuni carb,after you decide it needs a carb job because the seafoam didnt work,first off you will notice that the actuator diaphram is hardened and stuck to plate.seafoam works on carbs that have float bowls or FI but I never use it on bladder or diaphram type carbs.PS if your ski isnt running right nothing that comes in a can will fix it.newer type TCW3 oils have carbon additives,also a thin layer of carbon on top of a piston never hurt anything until an additive is put in fuel to cause said carbon to fall off in small chunks and lodge behind and in ring groove.Have a great day>Marvin

Thread Information