Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Winter Gas Treatment for Ethanol - Storage Question

While I was at the local marine store, everyone was buying this fuel additive called Startron Enzyme for their boats. PPl in the store said long term storage of ethanol will clog the fuel system. He went on to say in NY, we use 10% ethanol (instead of MTBE) and there's been many reports of marine engine problems related to clooged filters.

Is there any truth? It was only $10 a bottle - anyone else adding this with Stabil? Safe?

Here's what I found on the web so far:

STAR BRITE STAR TRON FUEL TREATMENT PREVENTS AND CURES GELLING OF GASOLINE
    Gasoline enhanced with ethanol has recently been introduced in the states of New York and Connecticut. As fuel supplies become scarcer and prices escalate, the practice of adding ethanol to gas will spread to many other states. The EPA has already approved this action.
    There are however problems associated with using ethanol-enhanced gasoline that have already surfaced. Numerous reports indicate that ethanol-enhanced gasoline can gel as temperatures fluctuate, leading to clogged filters and other fuel delivery system problems. In some cases traditional fuel stabilizers and additives seem to accelerate the gelling process. The problem seems to be worse with engines that have very fine fuel filters. Repair shops have described the clogged filters as looking as if they are coated with gelatin. When the filters clog it is difficult for the engine to accelerate quickly and maximum RPMs are impossible to reach. In extreme cases the engine stops running and will not restart.
    Star brite Star tron is a revolutionary new type of fuel treatment based on naturally occurring enzyme technology. This product will prevent gelling of ethanol-modified gas and can even reverse the gelling process once it occurs.

In addition to dealing with gelling, Star brite Star tron uses its blend of enzymes to stabilize fuel chemistry, increase octane, improve fuel economy, increase power, clean the fuel delivery system, remove carbon build-up and disperse water. No harsh chemicals are used in the formula and therefore, the product does not cause any negative side effects. Star brite Star tron is compatible with all types of gasoline, including new ethanol-enhanced gas, as well as other fuel treatments. This means that even if other fuel treatments are present, Star brite Star tron will not interact or in other ways negatively affect treated fuel.
    Used for long-term storage, Star brite Star tron will keep gas fresh and stable for a year or more. When it is time to take the treated engine out of storage, no “wake-up product” or additional treatment is required.

http://www.saltwatersportsman.com/sa...225630,00.html

More compelling information on e10 (10% Ethanol blend). It only has a 60/90 day shelf life!!!

Maybe the $10 a bottle is justified....

THE OFFICAL SUPERDUTY!!!!!! superduty's Avatar
    +1
    the guy in NY was telling the truth the ethonal does replace MTBE which is the good **** makes the gas burn better

Wyatt:

In Minnesota we have been using a 10% ethanol blended gas for many years now.

Everybody that I talk to uses either Seafoam or Stabil in their gas.

I have never heard of these gelling stories or filters getting plugged.

It might be a way of the makers of this stuff to scare the ethanol newcomers.........

+1
    maybe it's the e80 they are talking about?

+1
    if you put e85 in anything that was not made for it will run like crap

+1
    You have to look around to find gas here in Minnesota that is pure. Most are 10%. Maybe if the states that are just switching over are seeing problems, it might have to do with the blend "cleaning" the fuel system. The Ethanol might loosen up some old varnish and thats what showing up in filters.

We have that 10% crap here in Ca and have had it for a long time. I've got a car that I don't really drive. The gas in it is 1.5-2 years old. THe car starts and runs fine whenever I put the battery in it which is every couple of months.

Maybe the gas is worse quality now, but this gas gelling in 90 days is pure crap. I have the proof in my driveway.

I put the startron in my jet boat and sure enough it cloged the filters. Changed the filters in the boat and it ran fine. I was told also if you have 20 micron filters they catch everything. The boat dealers said use 10 micron filters. Get a little more use out of them But you will have to change them a couple of times till you clean out all the garbage the additive breaks down. I also have Stabil in the fuel. For winter storage.
    See whats happens in the spring.

+1
    i know what happens when you put tooo much stabil in there it fouls out your plugs thank god for warrenty lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information