Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

440 stand up projecto

Picked up a non running 440js this spring and havent had much time but will be working on it now. It has a race carb that has a bent a/f adjustment screw just to fit it on so its not useless and got a stocker in its place. motor turns over freely. starter works just fine. cylinder walls are good and the spark is awsome. only issue I have it that the front cylinder has a 140lbs compresion and the rear has a 170lbs compresion witch at first seemed fine but I didnt know much of the the 440's.

But after further review I know I will prolly need to hone the walls and rebuild the top end. especially when I have everything on and try to turn the motor over is turns over but one piston is fine then when the other piston is under compresion it hardly wants to turn over. this i believe is due to the mis matched piston compresions.

there are a bunch of other aftermarket parts on this ski so it should be a good running once its all set up. kerker exhaust, exhaust mani, aftermarket prop housing, high comp head, prop grate and ride plate

so this is my project sense i had 3 this spring and other 2 are gone sense they run so now I have no standup to ride so want to get this going to I can ride a few more times before the season is up this is what it is now and show pics of progress as it comes

oh also any help tips or tricks are all welcome please feel free to give advice for all is welcome. thanks

well got a chance to clean up and repaint the intake mani and carb last night todays plans is pull motor and pull motor apart to inspect for any usable parts

can anyone give me advice on if i should leave things as is or is there room for some upgrades on this machine. all input would help me.

small update painted the head from blue to black and red flaked then got rid of the blue filter and went to a black top and bottom to red filter then jsut clean up the exhaust and kept it as clean as can be

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    looks really good I like the paint alot, I would look into a top end kit, or check the reeds

Sean

thanks. pistons and housing looks to be in great shape but The rings are what I want to replace. reeds seem to be in still good working condition. but I am replacing what is needing to be replaced only if it needs to be sense I am running low on funds

got the jug painted a nice black as well as the flywheel cover finally figured out info on motor so it should be back together shortly. least this isnt taking as long as i thought

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    Make sure you use a good clearcoat on it, otherwise the oil or gas that can spill in the hull will eat the paint off it in no time

Sean

deff did. and making sure I have no reason to open the engine bay unless to look at the engine or do something with the battery. Its nice to have a ski that has a fill hole on the nose like my old 650 had

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information