2001 Polaris Virage 700cc leaking fuel

Hello all,

I recently purchased my first jet ski- a used 2001 Polaris Virage- and at the time of purchase, it sounded and looked great. I brought it home and let it sit in the garage for a few days while I transferred the trailer title and jet ski title. When I went in and checked on it today, though, there was gasoline pooled in the inside of the hull!

An inspection of the engine, hoses, and fuel tank have yielded no obvious leaks. I haven't tried starting it up since I discovered the leak, for fear of damaging the ski further.

EDIT: I just realized that I didn't notice gas pooling a couple of days ago when I looked at it, which was also just before I propped the trailer's front support wheel up with a jack. Perhaps the leak is being caused by
    If you couldn't already tell, I have no mechanical knowledge about jet skiis and don't really know where to look when trying to locate this leak and fix it. Any suggestions?

Pictures:

View of back of jet ski from above

View of middle of the jet ski from above

View of upper engine of jet ski from above

View of the uppermost engine area of the jet ski from above

Wide view of the engine area (the clear tube hanging over cavity wall in the bottom right is a random tube I found in the hull laying around. Not sure if it's supposed to be attached to anything...)

Another wide view of the engine area

A view of the gas/oil stained cavity in the hull. This area was filled with the gas/oil mixture (the previous owner liked to mix the two in the fuel tank), but I sopped up what I could with the rag you see in the picture.

Where that random tube from the earlier picture connects to. I can't quite see up there and I couldn't find a corresponding part in the parts manual.

Suspect #1- I know it's a valve attached to the oil tank, but if the parts manual is correct, this little sucker is missing the vacuum part that's supposed to be attached to its end. It was smeared in an oily mixture that also reeked of gas.

Suspect #2- A valve coming from the oil tank that's smeared in a gas/oil mixture.

Suspect #3- One of these horribly corroded-looking pipes coming out of the fuel tank head.

And that's all I've got. If anyone can help, I'd really, really appreciate it.

EDIT: This problem seemed to start after I propped the front wheel of the ski's trailer up with a jack. Before then, there was no noticeable pooling...
    Last edited by happatk; 08-11-2010 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Added pictures and more information

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Well, to start with the obvious there should be zero fuel leaking inside a PWC hull, regardless of the angle of the trailer.

Your fuel tank may be cracked, so don't dismiss that possibility. Since it is a fuel issue, I suggest replacing every fuel hose, and checking every fitting as you go.

Remove and check the pulse hose that runs between the carb and the crank case side. Make sure it is clear of any liquids.

Remove the spark plugs, and ground the plug wires on the engine (to avoid sparks that might ignite fumes). Crank the engine. If liquid sprays out of the plug holes, check whether it is water or fuel. Normally there should be NO liquid inside the engine, other than perhaps a dribble of oil. Replace the pulse hose, since you have it off anyways.

That clear tube laying loose in the rear of the hull is probably for the battery vent nipple. Lead-acid batteries often have a vent nipple on one end, and that tube leads to a vent fitting on the hull, to allow battery fumes to vent to the outside. Good quality batteries like sealed AGM types don't have a vent nipple, so the tube just lays in the hull.

There should be another clear tube down there that connects right underneath the drive shaft through-hull bearing. That hose is for the speedometer.

The oil tank and fuel tank vent inlet check valves both have one end unconnected, just open to the air.

What you can do to get the hull cleaned out is tip the trailer front up as high as possible, so the rear of the PWC is down low. Don't damage the jet pump by letting it strike the ground. Remove the hull drain plugs, and use water and cleaning agents as needed to clean up the interior

Tip: Put a plastic bag over and around the engine air intake (flame arrestor) to prevent water from splashing up into the engine.

+1
    I cannot tell from the photos whether the oil tank and oil pump hoses are all connected.

You said the previous owner like the pre-mix the oil into the fuel. If that is the case, normally the oil injection system would be disconnected, and the oil pump removed.

This is important, as oil is critical to proper operation of the engine. Either the oil injection system needs to be in place and operational, OR the oil must be pre-mixed into the fuel.

I suggest you confirm with the previous owner whether the oil injection system is indeed in place and operational, or is not.

I think I found at least one source of the leak. I placed a white rag in underneath the line that runs from the carb to the oil tank and viola! A golden spot appeared on it hours later. Haven't yet replaced the fuel lines like you suggested, K447, but I've bought 10 feet of a new fuel hose and 8 clamps and will do so tomorrow. Progress feels good.

This random clear hose, what is it connected to?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by acer.boy View Post
    This random clear hose, what is it connected to?

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    ... That clear tube laying loose in the rear of the hull is probably for the battery vent nipple. Lead-acid batteries often have a vent nipple on one end, and that tube leads to a vent fitting on the hull, to allow battery fumes to vent to the outside. Good quality batteries like sealed AGM types don't have a vent nipple, so the tube just lays in the hull.

There should be another clear tube down there that connects right underneath the drive shaft through-hull bearing. That hose is for the speedometer.

Does this answer the question?

Where does the battery hose plug into?

The hose from the panel to under the drive shafts is accounted for..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by acer.boy View Post
    Where does the battery hose plug into?
    One end of the battery vent hose connects to a small rubber hull vent near the front of the seat, under the steering. The other end connects to a small vent nipple on a traditional lead-acid powersports battery.

If your battery does not have a vent nipple it may be an AGM type, which is actually preferred for watercraft application.

Thread Information