Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

got a good deal help me fix it

i picked up 89 sp for free today no trailer but hull and body are perfect put the guy couldnt get it running it would only run of starter fluid when you spray it in. so did a little searching saw gray lines and changed em and took the carbs off cleaned them really good they didnt look bad tho i didnt rebuild it tho i have never done that before was to scared. i then cleaned the fuel filter and did a tune up. starts and seams to run good on the trailer but will not idle on its own. also how can i check if the oil is injecting i think this guy put premix in ];becasue he wasnt sure the gas is green and prolly old i did also notice the two carbs and one was not even opening the butterfly valve it was just disconected so fixed that any help would be awsome its gonna be for my daugter

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    this is one of those projects that your going to have to do a ground up on this so you KNOW its right instead of finding out on the water 5 miles from the dock

thats what i figured lol u got any ideas for me

+1
    whats this thing look like? its the hull a mess? I need some kind of base line to go off of here...Id pull the motor, clean it up, fix the broken stuff. rebuild the carbs; ground up. check the pump and prop ect.

hull is in perfect condition the whole this is clean in and out i changed the nasty gray lines and cleaned but didnt rebuild the carbs, it will not idle on its own i checked wear ring and is good and pump has no play and runs greeat on the trailer but wont idle gas is green i think they used premix but havent checked to see if oil injection is working but looks like it should guy before is jackass can post some quick pics if you want

+1
    its definitely premixed if its green...rebuild the carbs. they are pretty simple. id fix the oil injection so you dont have to worry about hitting the dock every time your out of gas. as for the idle it could be carb related or your idle screw is set too low.

ok should i take the gas out im 90 percent sure oil injection is good still or should i jsut run it threw there are dual carbs what one is the idle screw it seams i idle better once warm were gonna take it out tommrow to see if its all good with moving and see how it goes

+1
    dude...no offense but you need to work on your punctuation a bit...its hard to follow. I wouldnt take this out till you know whats working and not. go thorough this with a fine tooth comb. I know I would. im not sure what the carb set up looks like on a machine this old, but there is a screw that when the throttle is at idle it should be resting on a small plate. screw it in it idles faster screw it out it idles slower

im sorry im so used to just fast typing. i will tinker with the idle tommrow before i just cruize on it. i want to see what happens im curious. it wont just be me if something goes wrong. should i take out the premix or just top it off with fresh gas and not worry. it dose have dual carbs so i have to up the idle on just one or both or dose it do it together its a 587 motor if that helps and im gonna look onhere to see if i can fidn the carbs

Gotta agree ... dude ... work on complete or at least coherent statements.

That being said. If you want the project to come in under what the ski is worth, spend some time figuring out what is good and what is not good on the ski.

As far as the gas/oil, you would be fine running the current stuff thru. But ... if you have a way to drain/siphon the old stuff out ... drain/siphon it out and start out fresh. That will eliminate any doubts about gas, if you run into issues.

Shortcuts will only cause headaches in the end.

As far as premixing or not premixing(using oil injection) ... that's a personal call. I'm premixing the rest of the season ... but plan on testing my injector in the off season. If it's good, I'm going back to using the oil injector.

A little insight to my oil injection situation. Got a ski and the engine was toast. Got a replacement engine that was converted to premix. So, if the oil injection is good on the toasted engine, I am going to swap the injection over to the replacement engine over the winter.

But to each there own on oil injection.

Good luck with your new project.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information