Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need help - Title issues - PLEASE HELP

I got 2 jetskis and a trailer on a trade for a four wheeler. The owner I got them from said there are no titles for the Skis, but did have one for the trailer... OK no big deal. Give me a bill of sale and be on with it...

Well, I spent 2 hours at the BMV here in INDIANA and they are insisting that I need the title to them to sell / trade / transfer ownership or I cant do it.

The person i got them from is the 2nd owner - he says they transfered to his name which is on the registration cards just fine without the title.

They are registered in ILLINOIS, and i am in INDIANA.

The woman at the BMV is pretty much telling me they will be worthless on the lakes after the current IL registration expires (which is soon) and I can not register them again...

question 1. How can I tell if ILLINOIS sold the jetskis with a title back in 1995 / 1997?
    question 2. How can I get a title if the previous owners didnt have one?

SKIS - 1995 SL750 and 1997 SLT700

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    your going to have to do a title search...go to the Illinois DNR and download the form. fill it out and they will give you a title transfer form

http://dnr.state.il.us/admin/Boats/pdf/boatapp.pdf

you may need to call them to make sure...its best to call as soon as they open cause you will be on hold all day.

Yup, what he said.
    Last edited by LadyAirbornexp; 08-11-2010 at 09:53 PM. Reason: I can't figure out how to delete it.

OK - I did see this form, but didnt know if i need to fill that out or find the Indiana one?

Thank you for the help

+1
    I thought that you said that these were illinois skis that were bought from illinois?

you have to do the illinois side first to get the illinois title THEN you can take it you your state once you have the Illinois title with the previous owners name and your name signed on the back of the title. then title it on your state. like I said... call them as soon as they open and talk to a DNR rep before they get all pissy later in the day.

ok I reread your post...apparently the previous owner never titled them correctly as they still have illinois stickers on them. do the above, find the correct illinois title and take the next step in Indiana

Will do - however... A title search does exactly what? Tells me the names of who currently "owns" the title and im suppose to contact them to get them transferred to me?

Couldnt I just do a "duplicate title" with my information filled out on the form and have them send me one? lol (sounds too easy im sure its a no)

+1
    No titles? Yikes, red tape nightmare.
    Don't ever buy a PWC from Mississippi and drag it to Florida; they don't issue titles in Mississippi. What a P.I.T.A.

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    I hope the bill of sale is notarized. If you get all of your ducks in a row and the person you purchased them from did what he was suppose to when he transferred the registration the should be able to help you. It may take you a couple of days and maybe a trip to Ill. to get it straightened out though. Remember you can get a whole lot more done in person than over the phone.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by satyr36 View Post
    Will do - however... A title search does exactly what? Tells me the names of who currently "owns" the title and im suppose to contact them to get them transferred to me?

Couldnt I just do a "duplicate title" with my information filled out on the form and have them send me one? lol (sounds too easy im sure its a no)
    thats why I said to give them a call. Ive never been in this situation. if you send it in with out talking to them it takes about 2 weeks or so to figure out if you did it right. i did it once and Ive always called from then on cause I had it sent back to me and told to start over...not fun.

+1
    Just an FYI, NJ is a not title state. When I sold a hull to a guy in florida I gave him a notarized Bill of Sale and my old registration and he had no problem registering it in Florida....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information