Too much oil caused leak or coincident?

For the second time now, I grudgingly dropped off my Fx SHO at Riva Motor Sports in Pompano Beach, FL today for warranty work to address an oil leak between the sump pan & block. The first time they assured me it wasn't leaking and charged me $106.00 for the labor. After installing stage 2+ pwr IC, Hks, etc and running it, I found oil seeping from the same spot. I haven't heard back yet but was told that if they confirm the leak the repair could take up to 2 weeks but they'll refund the $106. If not...no charge. I was torn because I feel I could make this repair in 1-2 days if it's ONLY the gasket but that's NOT the ISSUE here. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	006 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	662 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	209616

After the first oil change by a DIFFERENT but original dealership and logging a few hrs I discovered they put in almost a quart more oil than they should have (almost a 1/4 inch above dipstick mark). I have since pumped out the extra oil and cleaned out the breather box. Could too much oil have caused this leak? Or is the leak just a coincident. Note image as seen by inspection mirror between front starboard mtr mount & oil cooler.

That is on the front left in front of the oil cooler. I don't think you could cause that. I would make sure it is not just the oil cooler leaking just because that would be an simplier fix.

If it is the oil pan there is no gasket. All they need to do is pull the motor, drain the oil., flip it over, remove the oil pan, clean surfaces and reseal with the proper sealant. Done. 2 weeks - hahahaha. That's a one day job.

If it is the lower case assembly same basic deal, just a little more to do since this is also the carrier for the lower block and crank bearings. If this is the case the crank bolts should NOT be reused.

port=left, starboard=right, whatever, LOL. thanks, it's definitely not the oil cooler...I was hoping.

+1
    Overfilling your modified FZR/FZS/SHO's is a good thing. I learned this from Bill Chaplin, Chris Macc and Motec Pete. If you are making aggressive turns, your oil is moving and the motor is not getting enough oil for a split second and wants to cut out. This was documented in the data log on Chris Macc's stock class FZR. If you look at the oil measurements, the motor basically has no oil in it when your making turn 90 degree to 180 degree turns. So by overfilling, you solve the problem. My dip stick is a little bit above full. Almost a quart extra.

I am sure RIVA figured this out in their testing and that is why they overfill.

ok, but it say's in the owners manual pg. 89 "don't run the engine with too much or not enough oil in the engine, otherwise the engine could be damaged"...just say'n, you start questioning any possibility. I doubt the back woods hillbilly dealership (not Riva) that i bought this ski from purposely overfilled it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bkweld View Post
    I doubt the back woods hillbilly dealership (not Riva) that i bought this ski from purposely overfilled it.

they could have,, maybe not on purpose though,
    i bought a fzr new from riva south and it was way overfilled with oil, i noticed cause i switched to a after market catchcan and left the drain valve closed and after 2hrs of riding the catchcan was half full with oil, i changed the oil and left the level just below full, and problem solved

ive also heard that you loose rpm's from overfilling with oil, anyone know anything about this??

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Thomas View Post
    Overfilling your modified FZR/FZS/SHO's is a good thing. I learned this from Bill Chaplin, Chris Macc and Motec Pete. If you are making aggressive turns, your oil is moving and the motor is not getting enough oil for a split second and wants to cut out. This was documented in the data log on Chris Macc's stock class FZR. If you look at the oil measurements, the motor basically has no oil in it when your making turn 90 degree to 180 degree turns. So by overfilling, you solve the problem. My dip stick is a little bit above full. Almost a quart extra.

I am sure RIVA figured this out in their testing and that is why they overfill.
    Very interesting. This is the first I have heard of people intentionally overfilling their oil. Overfilling the oil will also cause you to lose a little bit of RPM. So I guess you should fill it for your style of riding.

+1
    MoTeC Pete probably can explain it a lot better than me.

+1

Thread Information