Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: C3 question

+1

Lightbulb C3 question

HI guys, i am looking to get a R2 and a C3. i have extra cooling lines to the intercooler and the spacer kit. the ski currently has stock ecu and a C1. will my cooling be sufficient bearing in mind temps in the Uk are a lot cooler than most of you guys are used to.

+1
    I have a similar setup to what you are looking to get even down to the extra cooling supply and exhaust to/from the IC. I live in Northeast Indiana and the water temps are fairly cool here too--I would guess water temp is 80° F and I get heat soak after riding hard for a little while.

My first pass or two I turn 8400 RPM's then it drops to about 8150. I feel this would not happen with an aftermarket intercooler.

BTW, I love the R2/C3 combination I have on my ski.

+1
    +1 with Craig.

You can run the R2 C3 combo on the stock intercooler just fine. You just may lose more speed and rpm to heat soak then you would with an aftermarket intercooler. You can always add an IC later on if you wish.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hitman View Post
    ...You can always add an IC later on if you wish.
    That's not a bad way to do it especially if your money tree isn't blooming as much as you'd like and your water temps are cool. I won't do it again at Mudbug, though. Funny to nail it in 98° F water (never seen that before) and listen to it bog. Wonder what the Louisiana peeps would think of Lake Michigan.

Side note--when the ski is cool, AFR's are at 12.0 with an occasional blip at 12.1. After a couple runs, AFR's are fatter at 11.8 with a blip to 11.9. I think I would have to add fuel (a bunch of?) to my present Powershot settings if I had an aftermarket IC. Wonder how much boost I'd pickup by just adding a good IC?

+1
    I picked up a pound of boost with the JD IC and I came from a type 19. Imagine the gain you will see coming from a stock IC. It will be sick!

+1
    I picked up a pound of boost with the JD IC and I came from a type 19. Imagine the gain you will see coming from a stock IC. It will be sick!
    I know.

Not to jack this thread but the cam gears you are doing Todd are interesting to me. I'm not sure I'd want to tackle that project, though.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 5001craig View Post
    I know.

Not to jack this thread but the cam gears you are doing Todd are interesting to me. I'm not sure I'd want to tackle that project, though.
    I can walk you though it no problem. Can even do it over the phone.

You'll make more power with less boost. They are a fantastic mod. 200 rpm for only 200 bucks. You can't hardly beat that! I bet you'll see a lot of guys running C3 and cam gear combos, going just about as fast as E1 guys without the cam gears. Wouldn't that be something.

+1
    I can walk you though it no problem. Can even do it over the phone.

You'll make more power with less boost. They are a fantastic mod. 200 rpm for only 200 bucks. You can't hardly beat that! I bet you'll see a lot of guys running C3 and cam gear combos, going just about as fast as E1 guys without the cam gears. Wouldn't that be something.
    todd you said you spoke to bill for a while about the cam gears for your setup, do you happen to know if they will work on a stock ecu setup 7700 rpm's ?? i read the instructions say like 8300 rpm's + but just curious
    thanks jorge

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 305coco View Post
    todd you said you spoke to bill for a while about the cam gears for your setup, do you happen to know if they will work on a stock ecu setup 7700 rpm's ?? i read the instructions say like 8300 rpm's + but just curious
    thanks jorge
    I think they would actually work fine in a stock rev limit ski. From the "seat of my pants test" I actually notice the biggest difference in bottom end and mid range pull, so that leads me to believe that anyone can benefit from them. Only thing is... with a lower 7700 rev limit, you may not get the peak RPM gains that R&D advertises. I think that is probably why they put the RPM recommendations in there for each setting, because that is the RPM you have to spin it to to get the "full effect" if that makes any sense.

AFR should be fine also without having to do anything. I was talking to Bill and he found it interesting that my ski actually got a tiny bit RICHER after the S2 setting was on. He said he has noticed the same occurrence. That is the ECU compensating, or possibly "overcompensating a little bit.

+1
    I think they would actually work fine in a stock rev limit ski. From the "seat of my pants test" I actually notice the biggest difference in bottom end and mid range pull, so that leads me to believe that anyone can benefit from them. Only thing is... with a lower 7700 rev limit, you may not get the peak RPM gains that R&D advertises. I think that is probably why they put the RPM recommendations in there for each setting, because that is the RPM you have to spin it to to get the "full effect" if that makes any sense.

AFR should be fine also without having to do anything. I was talking to Bill and he found it interesting that my ski actually got a tiny bit RICHER after the S2 setting was on. He said he has noticed the same occurrence. That is the ECU compensating, or possibly "overcompensating a little bit.

completely makes sence, it is weird your ski got alittle richer after the S2 install, was that with both gears installed or only with the intake gear installed?? if thats the case then you need to set it on the S3

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information