Question FUEL PROBLEMS please help want to get on the lake today

i got a 93 polaris sl750 its hard to start i checked compression and i got 115 on the mag and 120 on the other to i can take the air cleaner off and prime the carbs with fuel and it fires right on up so it's fuel problems. some one said i was post to have a restricter in the return line well i dont got that where do i get one of thoes at? and i searched all over the ski and have not found the fuel water serprater. in the hull and in the storge compartment could not find it but i do got alot of filters in lines and such. i got the triple out put pump carbs are rebuilt and it runs great just real hard to get it running the jets are all clear and new reeds new needle and seat and all new parts not half assed one bit pop off presser is post to be in the range of 10-18 psi and mine are set at 15 psi so i think its not the fuel pump or the carb could this be 1 the restricter pill looking thing thats post to be in the return line to slow the fuel down 2 my vaccum line to my fuel pump is to long but i mounted it where the old one was at i can move it closer to the block but then where whould i mount it to make it out of the way? 3 the fact i dont got a fuel water serpater?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by freemandino25 View Post
    i got a 93 polaris sl750

its hard to start

i checked compression and i got 115 on the mag and 120 on the other to

i can take the air cleaner off and prime the carbs with fuel and it fires right on up so it's fuel problems.

some one said i was supposed to have a restricter in the return line well i don't got that where do i get one of those at?

and i searched all over the ski and have not found the fuel water separator. in the hull and in the storage compartment could not find it but i do got a lot of filters in lines and such.

i got the triple output pump, carbs are rebuilt and it runs great just real hard to get it running

the jets are all clear and new reeds, new needle and seat and all new parts
    ...pop off pressure is supposed to be in the range of 10-18 psi and mine are set at 15 psi

...i think its not the fuel pump or the carb could this be;
    1 the restricter ... that's supposed to be in the return line to slow the fuel down?

my vacuum line to my fuel pump is too long but i mounted it where the old one was at. I can move it closer to the block but then where would i mount it to make it out of the way?

3 the fact i don't got a fuel water separator?
    You can find more information about the flow restrictor for the return fuel link in the Fuji links from my signature. You can make one, or buy one.

If you are running the stock 750 carburetors, then you need the restrictor in the return fuel line.

Follow the fuel lines back from the fuel pump to the fuel tank. If you have a fuel/water separator, it will be somewhere along there. If you don't have one, then you can leave it out, or buy one and install it.

A missing fuel/water separator will not affect starting (unless you have water in your fuel, which would be a problem anyways).

Make sure the fuel selector valve is in good condition. If it is leaking air into the fuel lines (from the fuel pump suction), then it will be hard for the fuel pump to draw fuel from the tank.

Make sure there are zero places where air could be leaking into the fuel system, especially at the hose connections. Have you replaced all the fuel lines, including those inside the fuel tank?

Make sure every fuel filter nipple is a good seal to the hose.

You can mount the fuel pump to the hull rib to allow a shorter pulse hose. Keep the fuel pump mount above the pulse fitting on the engine, so any liquid in the pulse hose drains down into the engine.

i pulled the motor out of the ski and all the hoses on the motor is nice and tight and new fuel line on the motor i did not replace the fuel line on the ski shouls i do that next? If i go out and get the fuel water separator what line is it on? is it on the fuel line from the tank to the fuel pump? whats the good about the fuel water separator and whats the bads?
    Last edited by freemandino25; 08-12-2010 at 11:49 AM. Reason: missed spelled word

+1
    i pulled the motor out of the ski and all the hoses on the motor is nice and tight and new fuel line on the motor

i did not replace the fuel line on the ski should i do that next?

If i go out and get the fuel water separator what line is it on?

...whats the good about the fuel water separator and whats the bad?
    Separator goes between fuel selector valve and the fuel pump.

The water separator is there to keep small amounts of water that may get into the fuel tank from reaching the carburetors. Water doesn't burn, so water in the carbs means the engine will not run properly. Water can get into the tank even if you don't have a seal leak. Condensation from the air in the tank can allow water to form. The separator keeps that water separate from the fuel flow, so the carbs and engine continue to run properly.

The only downside is you have to install and mount it properly, and hook it up. Except for inspecting it every so often, there isn't much maintenance involved.

The water separator cannot help with large amounts of water in the fuel tank. If you have that, it means the tank must be emptied and cleaned out, and the place where the water got in must be fixed.

If you have the original fuel lines, they must be replaced. They get old and fail from age. There are lines inside the fuel tank, and those must also be replaced. 1/4 inch fuel hose that is rated for gasoline and ethanol is what you need, along with good quality hose clamps.
    Last edited by K447; 08-12-2010 at 08:33 PM. Reason: xlint had the correct answer :)

on the oil lines i used zip ties is that ok or do they need to have hose clamps and i pulled the tank and cleaned the tank when i pulled the motor and thats great does that water fuel serparator have a filter in it that needs to be replaced often? the restion pill does it need to be right after the carbs or right before the tank or does it matter where i put it in the return line? thank you for your help and a great site

+1
    on the oil lines i used zip ties is that ok or do they need to have hose clamps?
    Zip ties are OK, as long as you are confident that they will not loosen or slide off with time, heat, and engine vibration.
    They are OIL lines, after all. They tend to be slippery.

...does that water fuel serparator have a filter in it that needs to be replaced often?
    Frequent replacement of the filter in the separator is not required.

the restrictor does it need to be right after the carbs or right before the tank or does it matter where i put it in the return line?
    The restrictor can be anywhere along the return fuel line between the last carb and the fuel tank.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    If the ski runs well. but is hard to start, might I suggest using a primer. They can be had for pretty cheap and really help with starting..

You can also get a water seperator for around $20. It's installed between the petcock and the fuel pump.

With the ski being a 93, make sure the autocock is removed and the hoses/fittings are air tight.

Thread Information