96 XP project - Good idea or money pit?

I already have a 02 XLT 1200 that runs great but I am looking for a winter project. Wanted something smaller for younger family members and friends to ride. Found a 96 XP in poor condition and no running motor. Hull is in good shape and could probably get it for $200. Plan would be paint and re do everything. How much of a project would this turn in to? Do ideas like this turn into broken dreams and money pits? A have a friend who is an experience painter with all the equipment and another friend has 3 car repair shops so I have help with anything motor related. Just dont want to get over my head nor do I want to spend a ridiculous amount of money get'n it looking and run'n good. Thanks for any input.

+1
    I would revive it mechanically but not paint it. The factory color scheme on the 96 XP is nice.

+1
    It all really depends how much time and money you want to dedicate to it. I picked one up a few years ago in similar condition to what you are describing for $ 100.00 bucks. I had close to a grand just in, gelcoat, powdercoating and paint. It was gorgeous when it was done, bottom was black, top deck was viper red with a black and silver hood. I all the brackets, ride plate, nozzle ect were powdercoated as close to chrome as possible. I did all the paint work myself back when I had a booth, but materials are expensive, all PPG paint and valspar gelcoat. I bead blasted the complete motor, case, cylinders, head and cover, exhaust ect and painted them all. Thats as far as I got, my wife got pregnant, I freaked and started dumping all my extra toys and projects, she ended up having a miscarriage. But anyway I worked on that thing almost the whole winter and sold it for like 400 bucks the way it was.

If I would have continued, finished I would have had prolly close to $ 3500-$4000 in it, to do the motor right with all oem stuff and rebuild everything else. But I wanted to do it, I wanted a prestine modded 1996 XP. So I knew what I was in for financially

Like aqua guy said, if you just want an economical rebuild, dont paint it. Just pull the stickers off if they are bad, wet sand it, then buff the gelcoat back out and swap the motor out with a cheap re-man and ride it like you stole it

Quote Originally Posted by Beachpig View Post
    I already have a 02 XLT 1200 that runs great but I am looking for a winter project. Wanted something smaller for younger family members and friends to ride. Found a 96 XP in poor condition and no running motor. Hull is in good shape and could probably get it for $200. Plan would be paint and re do everything. How much of a project would this turn in to? Do ideas like this turn into broken dreams and money pits? A have a friend who is an experience painter with all the equipment and another friend has 3 car repair shops so I have help with anything motor related. Just dont want to get over my head nor do I want to spend a ridiculous amount of money get'n it looking and run'n good. Thanks for any input.
    I don't know if I would have a 96XP for younger family and friends - this is a 110HP lightweight ski. Probably the most popular race ski made. It can be unstable (especially with more than one rider.) I have found older 3 seaters to be better for friends and family - nice easy stable ride, not too much power, and they can tube with them.

Thread Information