Thread: First PWC

First PWC

Hello everyone,
    First off I'd like to thank everyone that has posted great info on this site. I spent 2 weeks reading about different ski's before I picked the RXTX. I'm 100% new to anything water related. I grew up in mid america with no water close by. So thank you again for all the site.
    So far I'm really happy with the ski, I have 9 hours on it and am about to do the oil change and 10 hour service. Dealer wants to charge me 400 bucks! Highest price I could find on this site was 300. I've read the guide from top to bottom and could not find anything stating they will void the warranty if its not done by the dealer.
    If anyone has any suggestions outside of whats posted in the permanent topics I'll be checking back in.

+1
    Tell be about it, I just had to pay for TWO of them on my FZS.
    Sometimes if you get the manager off in a corner and softly explain how you just spent a small fortune on the ski they will cut you some slack. You need to build a good relationship with your dealer and service team so they will have your back if you ever have a big problem.

Yes you can always do your own service, but you better keep records and have your ducks in a row. The manufacturer considers the 10 hour checks to be very important and I assure you; if you were to lose a SC bearing or get a hydrolocked engine at 75 hours and you made a warranty claim, the first thing BRP will check is if their computer database shows you had that 10 hour service done.

+1
    As yoyamma said, if you do it yourself, keep records and receipts. BRP can not force you to have the dealer do it, or they would have to do it free. $400 is a major rip. Total parts are 4 Q of oil and the filter, which is a total of about $55. $350 for labor is insane. As you have seen, the 10 hour check is a lot of inspecting. No doing except the oil change. Pretty much tighten bolts. If you know how do do it, and do it correctly, by all means do so. If there is one part you aren't sure of, then pay, because it may come back to bite you.

and BTY, the bolts DO come loose! 2 of the 4 bolts holding my jet pump came loose and out before 10 hrs. So don't skip anything if you do it.

After giving it though I found a dealer that will do it for 210. It was 400+parts!
    Zone, thank you for the warning. After reading your thread I went right out and checked those bolts.
    As much as it pains me to let anyone else work on my stuff I'm going to suck it up and get it done right.
    Thank you both for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by RXT-X 260 View Post
    After giving it though I found a dealer that will do it for 210. It was 400+parts!
    Zone, thank you for the warning. After reading your thread I went right out and checked those bolts.
    As much as it pains me to let anyone else work on my stuff I'm going to suck it up and get it done right.
    Thank you both for your input.
    A wise decision if you are interested in protecting both your warranty and the dealership you deal with. They have to make a bit to remain interested in helping you with problems in the future. I wouldn't have paid $400.00 for the 10 hour service either though.

I had the 10 hour service done by the selling dealer. I can't remember what it cost, but I believe it was under $200.00. In the process of diagnosing a grinding noise at 23 hours he discovered the wear ring had been worn by sand. It is not a warrantable repair, but the dealer, as a favor is going to submit a warranty claim for pulling the pump to investigate the noise and will only charge me for the wear ring itself. You see what I mean? A happy dealer is a helpful dealer (usually).

i had my change done 30 hours ago and i think it was something in the same range of the 210 that you found. How do you like the 260? I bought the 255 back in June and have yet to see anybody with one out riding.

I am loving this ski so far. I've had 0 issues other then the sc tube popping off but that was my own fault for not checking it as suggested on GH! I've only rode on the back of a old GP1200 so I don't have much to compare it to. I was really torn between the SHO on the 260. Closed loop cooling sold me on sea-doo. All my riding is in salt water.
    A few of my friends that have grew up in boats/ski's say it handles chop better then anything they have been on.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TIRacer View Post
    How do you like the 260? I bought the 255 back in June and have yet to see anybody with one out riding.
    It seems that 260's are few and far between, even based on GH postings. My dealer has sold 4 or 5 that I know of in RXT-X, and he has sold a few IS 260's.

Compared to the 255 performance wise, they are about equal. Handling wise the new hull is kick azz. Both ride and turning. The brake may sound like a gimick, but it does work well, and its a great show off toy, when you come in and people ask you WTF that plume of water was. IMO, the OTAS system is a PITA. I've had it come on only a couple of times, but I didn't want it when it did. I'd rather have nothing or even OPAS. This is the first ski I have ever ridden where reverse is actually reverse, and not just a slow down tool. You just have to get used to haveing to turn the bars opposite to the older skis. Those are my only petty gripes. I LOVE the ski. Its the best one I've ever owned!

Quote Originally Posted by zone 5 View Post
    You just have to get used to haveing to turn the bars opposite to the older skis. Those are my only petty gripes. I LOVE the ski. Its the best one I've ever owned!
    I agree. It took me a while to figure out that the ski didn't behave the same in reverse and neutral as my old 2004 SC. Since I've worked it out, I've been able to place this ski exactly where I want it (in close quarters) when in neutral. There is always a bit of "way" even in neutral at idle, but as long as you figure out which way the handlebars need to turn to get the rear end where you want it, the positioning is perfect!

Thread Information