Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2001 GP1200r surging

I just bought it and it was sitting for a couple years. The gas level was very low so I dumped some fuel stable and drygas + 5 gallons of fresh fuel for good measure. Brought the boat out for a test drive and it was very slugish and the first few minutes it would surge from just about idle to approx. 5000rpms (with the throttle wide open the entire time). It then stopped doing that and would just be very sluggish and would only reach 5000rpm in the water. Took it out of the water and it will do 7000rpm with no load. Compression is 125, 125, 120. Im gonna clean the carbs tonight but figured I would ask and see if there are other things I can check while im digging around in the engine bay?

Im a 701 guy, these 1200's are foreign territory for me! I would appreciate any help/guidance.

I personally wound not rev it to 7000 on the trailer and you must rebuild the carbs anytime the ski sits for a long time i would buy the d-plate if needed with chip and wave eater clips for the pv it is 60 dollars of cheap insurance so the pv does not come lose and trash a cylinder. welcome to the board do some search's lots of good reading here about anything you want to know

thanks for the head up. Ill be sure not to do thar again. I just got the main chamber off that covers the carbs and found the cat to be completely dis-lodged inside the chamber and clogging the stinger section of the pipe. that has to be the problem im thinking... But while im into the motor im gonnna proceed with carb cleaning and doing the wave eater mod. Im not sure what a D plate is for the GPR's?

Ive heard of people running without a cat... is this OK to do or not advisable?

Thanks!

The d-plate replaces the Cat you need the back pressure put in greenhulk and get 10% off here it is http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...tf9t7tpc6a7n36

oh get the sensor chip to replace the exhaust sensor or make your own http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...p+resistor+mod

thanks again for the help, I dont want to sound like a cheap azz but the d-pate is a metal gasket and it costs $83 ? seems way overpriced for what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by BombThreat View Post
    thanks again for the help, I dont want to sound like a cheap azz but the d-pate is a metal gasket and it costs $83 ? seems way overpriced for what it is.
    Compared to the price of a new cat-con, the D plate is a steal at $83! It gives cooler running, better power, and doesn't fail like the cat-con. Sure it's not cheap, but nothing to do with jetskis' ever is!

yeah i know, but that just is over the top. none the less i found something though! also just ordered three mikuni carb rebuilds and some wave eater's. she should be good to go soon enough!

anyone know where to get stock graphics for these?

Try here they have a few diff. kits stock ones can be ordered from Yamaha but i would hate to see what they cost http://www.exoticsigns.com/

Gainesville, Ga.. Lake Lanier ....... 2006 FXHO Cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by zx11rider View Post
    Try here they have a few diff. kits stock ones can be ordered from Yamaha but i would hate to see what they cost http://www.exoticsigns.com/
    There are two large decals on each side of the ski above the rub rail.....

They are around $50.00 each...total of about $200...

Bill

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information