96 Seadoo XP 800 -Very hard to start after being shut off

I have a 96 Seadoo XP that I have been having an issue lately. The problem is that the ski starts up and runs great after it has been sitting for a while. Continues to run great as long as it doesn't get shut off. If it does get shut off it floods out the motor and is VERY difficult to get running again if you even can. If you get it back started within a minute or two it's generally okay but you still need to give it full throttle and fight to get it started. The longer it sits the more flooded it gets and eventually gets to the point where nothing can be done to start it except letting it sit for an hour or two.

Common sense tells me that the carburetor is leaking fuel through it after it gets shut off and floods the engine with gas. I just rebuilt the carburetors last winter and made some jetting changes to accommodate the pipe and ignition changes that the previous owner performed but never changed the jetting so it was running pretty lean. It was doing the same thing before the rebuilds so I don't *BELIEVE* it was anything I did incorrectly but it wouldn't be the first time if it was

Thanks for any help!!

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    when you did your rebuild did you change your needle and seats? thats why its flooding out. they are leaking. change them and you will be back to normal

Yes I did change them but sounds like something still isn't right with them. I need to pull them back apart and see what all changes I made to them. I've been having a hard time dialing in the tuning to begin with and the issue of flooding out after you shut the engine off is just making it more difficult. The engine mods that are done to it are:

Rossier Pipe
    MSD Ignition enhancer
    West coast spark arrestor

Do you have recommendation's on a good baseline to start from?

Thanks for the help!

+1
    you may be a little rich on the bottom end due to the pipe. does it idle on its own or doyou have to keep it throttled?

It does idle but it is very rough and loads up after a while and will sometimes stall if I let it idle for a long period. I need to dig out my papers and see how I left the jetting last time I had the carbs out. If I remember correctly I believe how it sits right now the L/S jets are 75 and the highs are 145 with a. I also think I'm running a 2.0 needle and seat as well with the lightest springs Pop off was around 25ish *I think* but I'm not 100% on that number though. Does that sound way off for what I have done to the motor or is that about ballpark?

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    flooding sure sounds like a leaking n/s..specially if it's running nicely and has no problems with a cold start

I'll check into the needle and seat. What's the easiest way to check to see if that is the problem?

Someone recommended I check that the fuel pump diaphragm is not leaking as well as it could be leaking back through the pulse line into the crank case of the motor. Does that sound like something that could cause this as well?

Thanks again for the help!!

+1
    could be that the fuel pump diaphram is leaking...just have to check it out. as for your springs...you may be a little light. try changing your springs to a harder spring and see if that solves your problem

Thread Information