Where are the hours stored on 08 rxpx

My mates cluster gauge has stuffed up and he needs a new one but was thinking if he buys a second hand one with more hours than his its going to devalue his ski. Are the hours stored in the cluster or the computer?

+1
    Both and seperately.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Both and seperately.
    So what happens if he buys a second hand one with different hours to what he has now. Will the computer adjust it.

+1
    Hours are in the gauge,if you buy new gauge you will have low hours.
    I swapped my ecu for a rotax,the hours are still displayed on the gauge.
    Hours are on the gauge only.

No hours are on the ECU...if you buy a Gauge it will not work and you have to take it to a dealer to have it matched to the ECU otherwise your ski will not start...then you will have the same hours as the Gauge before...do You really think as hard as BRP makes anything to do with your BUDS/ECU that they would make it you could just get a OEM gauge will 0 hours work which would restore your ski to 0 hours....I dought it.....I bought a Gauge from the US that was used and off a Seadoo Sportster boat...Put it on my 08 RXT-X and took it to the Dealer he hooked up buds to clear the COMs fault so it matched the ECU and Presto.....It also now goes to 80mph....Sorry but I say its ECU that has the hours

+1
    I just did a ECU swap and had to have everything reset at the dealer. The hours on the LCD were from the old ECU not the new. The buds report will show different hours than the display in my case.

I would assume then that as you have to take it to a dealer to have the ECU and Gauges matched then if you cange the ECU they use the Gauge hours and Vice versa...I have heard stories of the aftermarket BUDS system allowing you to change the Hours on the ECU/Gauge...

+1
    Hours are stored on gauge and ECU seperately. Neither can be reset. If you take to the dealer and hook up BUDDS it will show how many hours on the ECU. If you get a new gauge its no problem and wil show less hours but if its take to dealer they can find real hours so I wouldn't mislead anyone if you sell it.

All that you do is from BUDS, go to HISTORY-> PART REPLACEMENT. from there you can match the replacement to the current hours on the ski.
    Here it asks for:-

*Engine
    *MPEM
    *ECM
    *Cluster

As you wish to replace it.

Select appropriately, and it will do the rest.

Simply pug"n"play is not an option, but if you look at how it structures the options, the data is duplicated across the ECM and the Cluster. The red/white and black/white data lines carry this across.

I have read them separately in unique scenarios, and I could see the hrs are held in both. Kinda stops people doing a shonky with the honest hours on the ski.

Another thing is in the 'History', you can see when the parts were changed hour-wise.

Always good reading.

Thread Information