Ultra 250 steering cable adjustment

I cannot find anything on 'how to' adjust the steering cable. i am trying to center the handlebars and i have maxed out the rear adjustment screw and have to adjust it at the handlebars but am unable to find how to get down to it. does anyone know what has to come off to get to the adjustment screw (being if there is even one up there)?

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ryangt View Post
    I cannot find anything on 'how to' adjust the steering cable. i am trying to center the handlebars and i have maxed out the rear adjustment screw and have to adjust it at the handlebars but am unable to find how to get down to it. does anyone know what has to come off to get to the adjustment screw (being if there is even one up there)?
    My firtst thoughts are that your cable is stuffed ,stretched

2ndly there is a very small amount of adjustment up front , Not really enough to make any big change.
    check to see that the steering cable brk is tight up under the front is not loose or bending.

the steering colum only has 90 degree options on the shaft

Page 316 of servce manual is the bkt I speak of !

How did it go out of centre, did it happen after you bottomed it out on a jump etc and bent something ?

how far out is it ?

Waz

it happened when i had a rider on the back fly into my arm and it jammed the steering at my right hand. it was about 1 and 1/2" out of center now with the rear adj maxed its still about 3/4" out of center. i didnt think of the steering cable getting stretched. i've looked to see if i can see anything bent but i just cant look up in there to really see it. i imagine the service manual is not online to be found

the cable was stretched so in order to get it centered and because i couldnt adjust anymore at tail, i had to clip some of the bolt on the steering cable in rear. this made it centered and hardly took any from my extreme left hand turn radius. worked out well

+1
    This thread is of particular use to me too(aint that right Drew?).. I just ordered a new cable because mine broke.. I had no idea it broke either. I just thought that it was out of adjustment or something. I have the UMI steering system so i hope it isnt too much of a big deal to install and adjust.

+1
    check the other end of the cable it can be adjusted as well. may need a very tiny person to get in there and do up the nut for you.

+1
    Ryan, JMHO but I doublt your cable is stretching. Grab your cable from the back of the ski (disconnected from the nozzle) and give it a good tug. Don't be suprised if the entire cable innards pulls out of the hull. Gig had the same problem, the flexible center section of the cable pulls out of the crimped solid rod sections that are at both ends.
    From what I can tell there is about 1" of flex cable inside each end of solid rod end. Over time the flex cable pulls out.
    If it were my boat I'd swap the cable out for a new one before it failed totally.....steering is one of those things you don't want to do without....

+1
    Oh, Gig should take some pictures of his cable and post them up!

+1
    Drew,
    I just heard from CPN.The cable is back ordered.. 1-2 weeks..

Thread Information