CDI and MFD questions on an SL750

Hello everyone

I have a 95 SL 750 that I bought with a broke rod and bad crank. I bought a complete "rebuilt" motor from a wrecker in Michigan that was running in a 94. I installed the motor in the ski and turned it over and found that I have no spark. I have tested the stator and everything is in spec, the coils also tested in spec, grounds are good, battery is brand new. The stator is from my 95 that apparently was switched over from my blown motor, when I sent my core to the wrecker by a "professonal" jet-ski mechanic. This is my biggest queston now. I did the standard polaris MFD fix to my MFD that everyone here is farmiliar with, a few days before putting the motor in, in the day between fixing the MFD and putting the motor in it rained and I must not have sealed the screen up right and there is now condensation in the screen and the MFD doesn`t power up at all. I have checked the fuse and its good. But I removed it just so I wasn`t sending power to a dead box. Will I get spark with lets assume a cooked MFD? I don`t think its should matter but i`m not shure. Or should I just assume that I have a bad CDI? I haven`t checked voltage on the battery while cranking the motor , but I will tomorrow
    Any input from the experts would be really appreciated

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk.

Disconnect the MFD to be sure,

Is the lanyard installed?

Have you checked the kill switch for grounding?

The lock plate is on, and I disconnected the kill switch at the CDI to be sure that it was isolated. Is there specs for the stators output while cranking anywere?

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    What's a lock plate?

specs while cranking for the stator, no.

How strong is your battery?

Did you disconnect the MFD and try it?

Battery is new, I tested it while cranking and its showing 10.5 volts with the plugs out of the motor so under little load. I have the charger on it now. I got a CDI out of a parts machine the same year and size, also a new MFD that seems to work fine other than the fuel guage. I put everything in this morning and I still have no spark, I will see in a bit after the battery is completely charged if I have spark . Other than that the grounds all seem fine, I also tested the kill switch and it seems fine aswell. The lanyard is the lock plate. This thing is killing me, what can go wrong has gone wrong on this project.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by CML View Post
    Battery is new, I tested it while cranking and its showing 10.5 volts with the plugs out of the motor so under little load.

I have the charger on it now. ...I will see in a bit after the battery is completely charged if I have spark ...
    A new battery, properly charged, should deliver much more than 10.5 volts while cranking.

Thread Information