Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

My Hull Delaminated!

This summer I was riding flat out (65mph, good thing those OPAS blockoffs don't fit for sh*t or I would have gotten killed) and the gelcoat decided to rip off of half the hull. Needless to say my ski instantly tossed me right the hell off of it. I messed up my neck and back (still sore). My insurance (Progressive) said it was a manufacturer's defect, and Bombardier said it isnt. The dealerships I took it to said they have never seen anything like this, and the one I bought my ski from tried to contact Bombardier but so far (3 weeks ago) have got nothing back.

Even though I dinged my ski before, the gelcoat should have never come off like that. The gouges I repaired were on the other side of the ski actually (still fine!). It looks like there wasnt enough resin in the fiberglass (actually it looks like there wasnt any resin at all).

I was going to write a letter to Bombardier, if that doesnt work I'm gonna have to get a lawyer.

PS Any help writing said letter would be greatly appreciated. Also any other advice such as "GET STUFFED!", or "YOUR SCREWED! HA HA!" will also be appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8-5-2006 6-40-16 AM_0036.JPG 
Views:	254 
Size:	2.10 MB 
ID:	9570   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8-5-2006 6-40-39 AM_0037.JPG 
Views:	157 
Size:	2.15 MB 
ID:	9571   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MVC-026S.JPG 
Views:	130 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	9572   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MVC-025S.JPG 
Views:	117 
Size:	39.2 KB 
ID:	9573  

is that an '05 RXP?

Take it to a marine gelcoat and fiberglass expert. Get a written estimate and a written prognosis of what they think the cause was. Search this forum and sd.net. There have been others with this same issue contact those people and find out what happened in their cases. The more proof you have that you aren't the only ski and it is a defect the better your chances will be if/when you use a lawyer.

Yup. 95 hours.

I took it to a guy who does fiberglass for Bombardier transit trains. He said he wouldnt touch it because the gelcoat is only going to keep coming off, and because of the speed our ski's are capable of attaining (or something like that).

Thumbs down

That sucks man!

I've seen other posts on the forum abt this issue but apparently it's not that common. I can tell you working with civil & criminal issues you must be persistent or you won't get anywhere. Only bad thing is SeaDoo is not subject to US law for obvious reasons so filing an action against them may be quite costly and good luck trying to retain an attorney. That said I would think SeaDoo would stand behind thier product.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by Flynfox; 10-16-2006 at 07:40 PM.

+1
    Since BRP sells their product in the US and has a presence here...testing and warehouse...they can easily be sued here. If they don't respond a judgement could be issued against them. There is no reason the glass should peel off a hull other than faulty application og gel and glass lay up. Some performance boats go well over 100mph and I have never seen glass peel like this. "Speed" is a poor excuse @

Richard

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by way2fast View Post
    Since BRP sells their product in the US and has a presence here...testing and warehouse...they can easily be sued here. If they don't respond a judgement could be issued against them. There is no reason the glass should peel off a hull other than faulty application og gel and glass lay up. Some performance boats go well over 100mph and I have never seen glass peel like this. "Speed" is a poor excuse @

Richard
    Didn't know that BRP had an actual presence in the US so yes it may be easier to sue them. But keep in mind you have to file the action in their jurisdiction (county they operate in) which can still be costly for you in terms of travel & related expenses. Only way around this is to hire an attorney already in their locale who can represent you.

Just be persistent & hopefully it will work out in your favor. Threaten them with media attention, nobody wants this.

+1
    what year RXP is that?

+1
    When fiberglass is done properly it should become one piece.
    There is no excuse for that.
    I am guessing that it is an 04.
    We need to start tracking the VINs.
    That way if our hulls fall between the numbers we will know to check them.
    It would be beneficial if we find one starting instead of already ripped off.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information