1995 Polaris SL750

Hi, I just joined the Polaris family (and the jet ski family) tonight. I purchased two jet skis, one being the above mentioned ski. Anyhow....the Polaris has a dead battery and I tried jumping it from the other jet ski, which turned the Polaris over strong. Checked and had spark on all plugs, but it wasn't taking off. I sprayed some starting fluid in the air intake and she took off for about 5 seconds, then tried it again, and it ran for 20 then I shut it off. About 30 mins later, turned it over and it started fine....took it to the water, started it (without start fluid) and it ran for about 30 seconds, not very smooth either.

Anyhow....tried it a couple minutes later and no luck, would just turn over, even with starter fluid. It would only turn over for about 5 seconds then die (even with the jumper cables hooked up).

The fuel has been in the ski for about a year, and the plugs are wet and sparking.

My assumption is that the battery is not strong enough, and the fuel is possibly bad. Is there anything else I need to check?

only 2 steps to check on 2strokes (normally)
    fuel/spark

you can pull the fuel lines after the pump and make sure its pumping gas good... if it is, then you probably need to clean/rebuild the carbs

If the battery is in question then change it... or put it on a deep cycle charge and see how it reacts

This is just to check if its running condition.. hehe... obviously there are lots of things to check before taking it to the lake

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Click the links below to get started

Make sure you install a quality battery. Jumping the battery is risky, and others have fried the CDI ignition doing so. I would recommend a factory sealed AGM battery.

Fresh fuel is good, proper overhaul of the fuel system is much better. Fix it properly first, THEN ride it. The number one way to damage these engines is to ride it with a weak fuel system.

Had my dad check the lines (I'm at work about 100 miles from my ski) and he said they were black lines, so it appears they switched the lines out. I do not know if it is a triple output fuel pump. It sounds like I need to switch that out as well. Will this one work?

http://www.jcwhitney.com/fuel-pumps/...41&zmap=318548

Bing-A-Ding-Ding-Ding, Brrrrrap! Brrrrrrrrrap!!! Polaris_Nut#1's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by mrwillya View Post
    Had my dad check the lines (I'm at work about 100 miles from my ski) and he said they were black lines, so it appears they switched the lines out. I do not know if it is a triple output fuel pump. It sounds like I need to switch that out as well. Will this one work?

http://www.jcwhitney.com/fuel-pumps/...41&zmap=318548
    Yes that is the same exact pump I bought from Jon Zigler. You will need to make up. Some lines to plug the carbs where there were connected to each other. There is a step by step post on here showing the conversion. I cannot believe nobody mentioned NEVER use starting fuild on a 2 stroke!!! Use pre-mix gas oil in a squirt bottle if you are going to do something like that.

Geez, what a newb I am! Never even crossed my mind, thanks for the warning.

Looks like there is still the original pump with the one outlet. I'll be replacing that when I get a chance. All of the lines are indeed black lines and appear to have been replaced up to the fuel pump.

I can't tell the color of the lines on the carbs since they are painted blue. Does that mean they are the original lines and need to be replaced? Are the factory lines painted with the engine? If so, I'm going to need to replace those.

Here's the point I'm at now, I've quit using start fluid =), but....after a very short spray from earlier in each carb, the thing still starts up and I cut it after 20 seconds. I've done this about 4 times, so that starting fluid has to be burned up by now, I barely put any in.

One thing I did notice, when I crank it with the choke on, there is no fuel coming out of the jets in the carbs above the top flaps. Shouldn't there be some fuel coming out for priming?

Looked at my starting fluid, looks like it has lube in it, rather than straight starter fluid.

Thread Information