Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

need tips and advice to turn an unlimited 1200 boat into drag boat

i was hoping to get some advice from you guys on some of the things i need to change to make my xp run with the big dogs. i lack a little info with some of the important things like props, nozzles, and rings. i guess i will start will the boats specs. it is a 2001 seadoo xp with a 219hp 1050 mel miller built full race engine with billet twin carbs, twin pipes,msd digital ignition, race pak telemetry, scat 4" set back pump, factory, ported grate, lightweight blueprinted hull, umi steering the list goes on and on. basically it was pro raced for a number of years then put up for a while and now i have it the way it was raced. when i got it the guy told me a lot about it but i was hung over from the night before and don't remember some stuff. it steers like it is on rails which probably hurt some straight line speed. i'm wondering if the beach house sponsons need to be changed or adjusted to help.
    other thing is the pump angle,props and rings. the boat tops out at 71mph now @ 7700 rpm.(gets there in less than 250ft with my fat ass on it) i am assuming you would like to know the specs on the prop pump and all that. well i need a little help identifying them. next questions will be about nitrous, but i figure the above is enough for now. thanks in advance!

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by miller1050 View Post
    i was hoping to get some advice from you guys on some of the things i need to change to make my xp run with the big dogs. i lack a little info with some of the important things like props, nozzles, and rings. i guess i will start will the boats specs. it is a 2001 seadoo xp with a 219hp 1050 mel miller built full race engine with billet twin carbs, twin pipes,msd digital ignition, race pak telemetry, scat 4" set back pump, factory, ported grate, lightweight blueprinted hull, umi steering the list goes on and on. basically it was pro raced for a number of years then put up for a while and now i have it the way it was raced. when i got it the guy told me a lot about it but i was hung over from the night before and don't remember some stuff. it steers like it is on rails which probably hurt some straight line speed. i'm wondering if the beach house sponsons need to be changed or adjusted to help.
    other thing is the pump angle,props and rings. the boat tops out at 71mph now @ 7700 rpm.(gets there in less than 250ft with my fat ass on it) i am assuming you would like to know the specs on the prop pump and all that. well i need a little help identifying them. next questions will be about nitrous, but i figure the above is enough for now. thanks in advance!
    Welcome to GH!
    no offense but I highly doubt that a 1050 is cranking out 219hp. a stock 951 is only 135hp. is your boat GPS'd or is that his numbers? Sponsons will not affect your straight line speed. you can adjust them up or down to affect your cornering either tighter or looser...you call. If you have as much goodies on it as you say you have there is not much more you can add to it. getting to 71 in 250ft is not easy to do...id say your there. you can change your prop to be shorter to increase your acceleration and change your nozzles ect.

as far as the speed, we did gps it a couple of times with the same result. as far as the hp, i didn't dyno it myself, so i can't say for sure on the numbers. i can say it has put many lengths on modified rxp's and sho's out of the gate for a little while but lacks some mph when they can run 84-85mph. how can i identify what i have for nozzle, pump, and ring?
    what gets measured or counted? i will put some nitrous on it to make up for a prop change that hurts the bottom end. thanks for the help.

+1
    Sounds like a mean boat post some pics.

thanks, it will be a day or two for the pics. it hauls butt, but we plan on running a drag race event @ lakeland fl. in november and i want to see how far we can go. the boat is alot of work for just screwing around on the lake. i kind of bit off more than i can chew with this. it will use 5 gallons of 110 in about 25 minutes of horsing around mixed at 20:1. it cost me about $1.75 a minute to run, which is crazy, so this might be the thing to do with it and get something a little more stock for screwing around. you know anything about props, pumps,rings etc...? please help. we want to do good with this old dog!

Where in Lakeland is this drag event you are going to? I live about 20 minutes from there!

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    Post some pics.
    ski description sounds as if its a top fuel funny car.

i think they call it the water ski hall of fame right off of i-4. there is a thread started at the main menu. from what i understand it will be pretty big. a lot of boats will be coming from everywhere. if you look on my profile there is an album of bad cell pics of it. i will get some better pics in the future.

Im right in ormond beach. We can meet up some were and i can help you figure out what ya got!

We can go riding if you would like!

mtuned that would be cool. the only problem i have right now is i have to ride private lakes until we get a title for it. it was a seadoo factory race hull that never had a title and was raced all its life. do you have one in mind? lately we have been riding @ lake winnona in deleon springs. let me know. i was able to talk to the guy that had the boat before me and he said it has a 14 vein 148mm skat trak set back pump with 17/22 skat trak swirl prop with a 84mm inner ring and 89mm steering nozzle with a stock ported grate. he recommended i get a 86mm inner ring to get more acceleration out of the gate but to watch for cavitation. i understand the rings now, but what does the 17/22 numbers designate on the prop?it turns 7660rpm @71mph as is and according to him the dyno sheet says it makes good power to 8000rpm. he recommended that for short runs i should put some smaller restrictors in the cooling outlets on the exhaust side to raise the pipe temp. why would that help? i would think it would slow down with more water (weight) in the chambers. any suggestions on picking up more mph? he also said i should get a drop nozzle kit. any suggestions on a brand that will fit with aftermarket bars? thanks!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information