Thread: RXP Erratic RPM

RXP Erratic RPM

Greetings, I bought an 05 RXP earlier this summer with 20 hours and I put another hard 22 hours at Lake Powell shortly afterwards. The ski ran terrific but recently over the weekend I was running it out of the no-wake zone and the idle started jumping between 1800rpm - 1200~ rpm. When at 1200 it would woble and shake and go back to 1800~ and be fine. It cycled back and forth this way all through the no wake zone. At the end of the NWZ I gassed it out of the hole and it ran erratic for about 20 seconds then back to fine again. Since it seemed to straighten up I ran for a while longer and it continued fine then I stopped for a swim for 10~ minutes or so, started up and same thing, the idle was erratic again just for 10 or 20 seconds, then straighten up and ran fine again. After a few more stop and go's the behavior seems to be after stopped (Off) for awhile it's prone to do this and when its running awhile it runs fine. Once back to my trailor I pulled it out and am done until resolved.

Could this be the Supercharger? From what I've read when they go that's it, they don't kick in and out and back in again. I've also read similiar behavior that point to sensors.

I was going to send the S/C in here ASAP when I bought it but my local shop talked me into waiting until off-season.

Thanks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Greetings, I bought an 05 RXP earlier this summer with 20 hours and I put another hard 22 hours at Lake Powell shortly afterwards. The ski ran terrific but recently over the weekend I was running it out of the no-wake zone and the idle started jumping between 1800rpm - 1200~ rpm. When at 1200 it would woble and shake and go back to 1800~ and be fine. It cycled back and forth this way all through the no wake zone. At the end of the NWZ I gassed it out of the hole and it ran erratic for about 20 seconds then back to fine again. Since it seemed to straighten up I ran for a while longer and it continued fine then I stopped for a swim for 10~ minutes or so, started up and same thing, the idle was erratic again just for 10 or 20 seconds, then straighten up and ran fine again. After a few more stop and go's the behavior seems to be after stopped (Off) for awhile it's prone to do this and when its running awhile it runs fine. Once back to my trailor I pulled it out and am done until resolved.

Could this be the Supercharger? From what I've read when they go that's it, they don't kick in and out and back in again. I've also read similiar behavior that point to sensors.

I was going to send the S/C in here ASAP when I bought it but my local shop talked me into waiting until off-season.

Thanks
    were the ceramic washers changed on your supercharger?

change the plugs too.

Quote Originally Posted by rangermtb5 View Post
    were the ceramic washers changed on your supercharger?

change the plugs too.
    I never pulled the S/C and from what I can tell the S/C has never been out.

+1
    pull it out asap and send it to jerry for the metal washers. should only be a couple of days until you get it back. don't risk running it anymore with the ceramics!!

Quote Originally Posted by rangermtb5 View Post
    pull it out asap and send it to jerry for the metal washers. should only be a couple of days until you get it back. don't risk running it anymore with the ceramics!!
    Agreed! Do it ASAP. Could be the SC Bearings starting to lock up.

FOLLOW-UP / Solved
    Thanks guys for all the help. I pulled the S/C and reportedly it was like new (42 total hours) but I did of course have the washers replaced. The culprit for the neurotic idle RPM's was a fowling plug. The ski runs terrific and I can now sleep at night knowing the ceramics are gone. Thanks again!

+1
    No problem. Glad it all worked out.

Thread Information