Question 1995 Polaris 780SLX sponson question

Hi all,

I'm new to the board and pretty new to riding PWC's. I recently purchased a '95 780SLX and the thing is in pretty good shape for the price minus the sponsons. One of the sponsons has a chip out of the top rear, and both show some minor stress cracking. They work for now but i'd like to replace them.

Being so new to PWC's and especially Polaris watercraft I was wandering if anybody knew of any good manufactures for new sponsons, or if any other years of crafts sponsons will fit my machine. I've heard the name like Hot Seat and others but not sure how they mount or if they fit. I searched this site and others, but can't really find specific info.

I'm only looking to put about $100 or so into it, so if somehow a '99 SLX's sponsons are the same size then that would be cool too.

Thanks for the input,
    SS_carnatic

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk

Others will comment on the sponsons.

Since these machines are new to you, I recommend you take the time to really go over them from end to end. Click the links below for more info.

Your fifteen year old PWC probably needs a number of things. The number one way to damage an engine is to just go riding, without taking the time to check it over thoroughly and do the important maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Welcome to the Hulk

Others will comment on the sponsons.

Since these machines are new to you, I recommend you take the time to really go over them from end to end. Click the links below for more info.

Your fifteen year old PWC probably needs a number of things. The number one way to damage an engine is to just go riding, without taking the time to check it over thoroughly and do the important maintenance.
    Thanks. Yep its been gone through thoroughly, I bought it from a friend of mines brother. The motor and all the systems have been checked and parts have been replaced. The sponsons need addressing though haha

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Many different models will fit.

Depending on what you want to do would decide which to get. An aftermarket sponson like Hot Seat or Beach House will dramatically increase your cornering, but will not allow you to do playful manueavers like donuts and such.

You can also get SLT sponsons which are not as aggressive as the SLX ones, which will make the ski more playful. Donuts and tail spins are no problem.

Or just get another set from another SLX.

What do you want to do???

Oh, and welcome to the Hulk.

Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    Many different models will fit.

Depending on what you want to do would decide which to get. An aftermarket sponson like Hot Seat or Beach House will dramatically increase your cornering, but will not allow you to do playful manueavers like donuts and such.

You can also get SLT sponsons which are not as aggressive as the SLX ones, which will make the ski more playful. Donuts and tail spins are no problem.

Or just get another set from another SLX.

What do you want to do???

Oh, and welcome to the Hulk.
    Thanks for the input. I'm kinda just going for the cheap right now.

I do like to play around more than just carve the water....Seems like my ski has a pretty unpredictable bite on the turn in.....during hard turning.

I'd like something more predictable yet still allow me to play around a lot....if thats even possible. Maybe SLT's will give me that.

My only main question is do the spacing of the mounting bolts really change over the years or do those mostly stay uniform?

could anybody give me a search term like: 19** Polaris SLT sponson....etc.

Would these work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Polaris-Virage-Side-LH-RH-Sponson-Stabilizers-Black-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ300419864813QQptZPersonalQ 5fWatercraftQ5fParts
    or
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Polaris-Watercraft-Sponson-Set-1996-SL900-SLX780-INTL-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ310159770269QQptZPersonalQ 5fWatercraftQ5fParts
    or
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Polaris-Purple-Sponson-Set-1996-SL-900-SLX-780-SLT-SLXH-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ170526912407QQptZPersonalQ 5fWatercraftQ5fParts

Thanks

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Most of the spacing are about identical.

You may have to open a hole up a bit, but should work.

If in doubt, get the SLX sponsons.

Those Ebay links should work for you.

Thread Information