Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned User
    +1

educate me about prop bending

so i picked up a spare prop and have been playing around trying to bend it to suit my needs. it was an 11/22 is to start off with or so it said. so far i've only messed with the trailing edge. i have it near the rpm's i want top end put it's, IMO lazy out of the hole. ski doesn't really want to jump out of the water like it normally would on most of my other dialed in props. (not that i want to be doing bunny hops all over, just what i noticed about them)

so i guess my question would be should i start playing with the leading edge now? i know that too will change some top end RPM's but, like i said I'm no pro, just trying to learn myself a thing or two. once i get it close ill send it to a real magic maker for the final truing up and such.

Good luck getting specific help beyond the "add or subtract a mm or two to the trailing edge". It seems to be a bit of a secret on what to specifically do. I personally am sending my 15/22r to Eric at Speedfreaks in NY for his setback mod and pitch service. Really cant beat the price, about $200 roundtrip. I commend you for jumping into the prop game and doing some testing, hope you find what you need and hope that you will share what you find with us other X guys. Cheers

You and your buddy were on the West Coast Freedom Ride last week. Was that you who tossed the wife/girlfriend into the Delta? I had the RXT-X, hit me up for a ride sometime.

David

+1
    We were at wcfr, and yes he was the one who's girlfriend pitched him in the water...long story. Hopefully Mike learns the prop game soon... mines gonna need it also...lol

home of the dislexic fingers breon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FullTilt429 View Post
    We were at wcfr, and yes he was the one who's girlfriend pitched him in the water...long story. Hopefully Mike learns the prop game soon... mines gonna need it also...lol
    Yeah Mike, get to work!

Sure, blame it on the girlfriend.

Banned User
    +1
    haha well to start off erik @ speedfreeks is DA MAN does great work, turn aroud time is good, he does a lot of work for me and would recommend him to anyone.

i did NOT toss her off. she's still "learning" to be a passanger.... whatever that means she just doesn't like it all that much. prob. because i have a hard time riding slow.

breon: ive read every page of that a few times. its all about trailing edge. no one wants to talk about leading. ill just start playing around roll with it. once i find something close to what i like ill have erik true it up and tell me how off i was hahahha

I'll add what I can..not in anyone's confidence about leading edge.....an extra mm in front equals something like 4-5mm in the back. That's in my limited experience...also...bending the leading edge is a mothapucka...compared to the ease of which the trailing edge is bent.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by VaRedneck View Post
    I'll add what I can..not in anyone's confidence about leading edge.....an extra mm in front equals something like 4-5mm in the back. That's in my limited experience...also...bending the leading edge is a mothapucka...compared to the ease of which the trailing edge is bent.
    Not true..

Adding leading edge will increase the bite out of the hole without affecting top speed to a degree. The entire pitch progression from leading to trailing affects prop performance. Adding leading edge also helps with overstuff. I like to keep the leading vs trailing no more then 10deg separation. About the trailing you can add a 2deg "Kick" to the last 1/2" for improved dig out of the hole. Its all about trying it to get the prop to your liking. Every prop and every boat is different. Many factors affect prop performance not just pitch numbers.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by VaRedneck View Post
    Its not just all about the leading edge and trailering edge. The entire progressive pitch of the blade is where its at. I learned how to pitch by paying for the experts to pitch my props then I would study it with a Gauge.
    I'm depitching one of my speedfreeks props as we speak for 100 degree temps right now.
    If your going to fine tune or even repitch tour own props, get a watcon gauge and good measuring tools so you can understand what isdesired and going.

Back to bending and measuring.
    2 down 2 to go.
    Easy money!

Quote Originally Posted by beerdart View Post
    Not true..

Adding leading edge will increase the bite out of the hole without affecting top speed to a degree
    That isn't what I found when replacing my 14/19+3 with a 15/20.

Also...when stacking a 14/19 against a 15/20...on the bench. The leading edge of the 15/20 is approximately 4mm taller than the 14/19. That's alot more water being ingested at anyspeed to not effect top speed....no?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information