+1

What did I forget or do wrong? Pump leaking

This is the 5th or 6th IC install/relocate I have done, this one though is leaking. I noticed my RXPX sitting low in the water and took a look to discover it had water up to the sc intake. We drug it out, drained the water, and at first I thought I didnt get the through hull tight or sealed, but it looked fine, I filled the hull with water thinking the seal might be bad, when I noticed wate was coming out of the lower bolt on the right side from the pump, to the pump shoe. Any thoughts, take it apart and silicone the crap out it? I just id a IC relocate and prop swap, so both lower bolts (inside the hull and outside the hull) were out. I know I have them tight, and to be honest this is a first. Should I pull both the IC racket bolt out and the pump bolts out, reseal, try to tighten them more?
    Thanks

+1
    Put some teflon tape on the thread of the bolts.
    Use on the bolts on the pump site blue loctite,this also seals it from the outside.
    This way you should keep the water out.
    I also use silicone to seal the steering and reverse cable,just to be on the safe side.

+1
    I have had this on 2 or three boats iv built up, I just shot some silicon into the holes before I fit the pump bolts, never had an issue after that.

Its normally always that bottom right bolt as you have to remove it to fit the IC bracket the the water pressure forces water through the threads.

R88

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by R88ory RXP View Post
    I have had this on 2 or three boats iv built up, I just shot some silicon into the holes before I fit the pump bolts, never had an issue after that.

Its normally always that bottom right bolt as you have to remove it to fit the IC bracket the the water pressure forces water through the threads.

R88
    Thats the one, its weird as I have never had this happen before, yes it leaks in just sitting in the water, or leaks out when its on the trailer.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mstennes View Post
    Thats the one, its weird as I have never had this happen before, yes it leaks in just sitting in the water, or leaks out when its on the trailer.
    Ya, I just jammed silicone all in those holes when I put them back in. The factory may not have done as good of job on that one as they did the others.

+1
    How does silicone work as Loctite? I Loctite everything on my boats (actually everything), and when I plug the hole with silicone, the Loctites not going to stay on the threads.

+1
    Rather than putting silicone on the bolts on the pump side, silicone the bolts holding the pump shoe....on the inside of the hull....the same bolts which hold the IC in place. Chances are you will not remove those bolts again, but you surely will with the jet pump. Just a thought......

Thread Information