Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Voiding Warranty

I am thinking about getting a RIVA free flow exhaust for my 2010 RXPX, but I'm not sure if it will void the warranty. Anybody know anything bout this?

talk to your dealer. some are cool with mods, others will give you a hard time. but the bottom line is that they have to prove that whatever modification you did is the cause of a failure they are denying warranty coverage for. i know if i ever have a problem with my ski, i will gladly drive the 2 hours to the dealer i bought it from or 3 hours to RIVA or perry performance group. all are cool with modifications, more so if they did the work.

+1
    Welcome to the forum, I think you're one of the first I have seen here with the new RXP-X, that's a beautiful ski. If you're worried about the warranty, just pay a little extra and get your dealer to install it,
    then you should be covered.

yea the dealer i bought my ski from is about the same distance as you are from yours. Thanx for the props, i still havent seen anybody else with a 2010 running around either. thanks for the tip!

Quote Originally Posted by got wake? View Post
    talk to your dealer. some are cool with mods, others will give you a hard time. but the bottom line is that they have to prove that whatever modification you did is the cause of a failure they are denying warranty coverage for. i know if i ever have a problem with my ski, i will gladly drive the 2 hours to the dealer i bought it from or 3 hours to RIVA or perry performance group. all are cool with modifications, more so if they did the work.
    I think you have it backwards. If you blow your engine and there are modifications, here is what could happen: (1) you make a warranty claim and they refuse it, (2) You write them a letter (because you will never get anyone on the phone) and demand that they fix your Sea Doo, (3) You don't get a reply (4) you decide to sue them and file a statement of claim with a court (5) in a year you get to court and say that they are in breach of contract - they will say that you modified your Sea Doo and that is the reason for the failure. You will have to pay an expert witness to come to court and testify that in his opinion the modification didn't cause the failure. You are the plaintiff in the case so you have to prove your claim (6) the court will decide "on the balance of probabilities" based on all the evidence whether the modification caused the failure or not. If not, then Sea Doo will pay for the repair. If yes, then you have just wasted thousands in time and effort to come up empty handed and a with a repair bill to boot.

So, what is the point? Read the warranty contract and try not to get opinions on what Sea Doo does or doesn't have to prove. I'm not telling you what the outcome will be; just what the process will be. By the way, does the warranty statement say what laws apply to any claim with respect to the warranty? It may say the matter will be heard in the jurisdiction the Sea Doo was sold in (your state) or in Montreal, the place the manufacturer is located (unless your state laws say otherwise). That would be expensive, wouldn't it??

In the end, modify as you like, but be prepared for a battle if you blow something that is related to a modification and the dealer doesn't think he will be able to slide it by BRP.

Bottom line is this. When you mod the ski, it is no longer what they sold you. So, why do you think it is their duty to warranty that if it caused the breakage. Obviously if you put up a stereo or larger mirror, they cannot say it caused the engine to fall out. OTOH, if you add an intercooler because you wanted to run more air thru the system and stress it out more, they can void the warranty because you have run the ski out of their parameters and therefore out of coverage. That said, some dealers are cool with the mods and keep their mouths shut but others don't like them. Just because the dealer installed it doesn't mean squat.

+1
    I think this guy was just asking about RIVA free flow exhaust.

Quote Originally Posted by YoYamma View Post
    I think this guy was just asking about RIVA free flow exhaust.
    The could interpret that as you trying to push more out of it than it was intended to. Had a tech call into Ford to void warranty on a trans because of a free flowing exhaust.

Quote Originally Posted by grover432 View Post
    I think you have it backwards. If you blow your engine and there are modifications, here is what could happen: (1) you make a warranty claim and they refuse it, (2) You write them a letter (because you will never get anyone on the phone) and demand that they fix your Sea Doo, (3) You don't get a reply (4) you decide to sue them and file a statement of claim with a court (5) in a year you get to court and say that they are in breach of contract - they will say that you modified your Sea Doo and that is the reason for the failure. You will have to pay an expert witness to come to court and testify that in his opinion the modification didn't cause the failure. You are the plaintiff in the case so you have to prove your claim (6) the court will decide "on the balance of probabilities" based on all the evidence whether the modification caused the failure or not. If not, then Sea Doo will pay for the repair. If yes, then you have just wasted thousands in time and effort to come up empty handed and a with a repair bill to boot.

So, what is the point? Read the warranty contract and try not to get opinions on what Sea Doo does or doesn't have to prove. I'm not telling you what the outcome will be; just what the process will be. By the way, does the warranty statement say what laws apply to any claim with respect to the warranty? It may say the matter will be heard in the jurisdiction the Sea Doo was sold in (your state) or in Montreal, the place the manufacturer is located (unless your state laws say otherwise). That would be expensive, wouldn't it??

In the end, modify as you like, but be prepared for a battle if you blow something that is related to a modification and the dealer doesn't think he will be able to slide it by BRP.

i never said it would be an easy battle, but i've already gone through it with more than one car and a truck. if there is a failure that can in any way be related to the modification you did, yeah, you're up a creek without a paddle. basically whatever you modify, kiss the warranty goodbye on that part of it and what it affects. and i know that florida laws apply regarding warranty work, so no worries there.

Just change it back to stock before you make a claim, thats what I did. duh...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information