Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

long time since posting, Quick advice needed Re: Broken Spark Plug.

So I haven't ridden my ski in about a year and I havent been on GH in even longer but I have a quick question. I attempted to get my ski running again and wasn't so lucky. So I pulled the plugs to find the #1 Cyl had some spark plug pieces inside. She doesn't crank and that probably a good thing since there is metal in the CYL. Any thoughts on what happened and what I should do to get her fixed? I'll attach a pic of the broken plug.

Pic: (hopefully lol)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	125.1 KB 
ID:	210007  

+1
    Man, that dont look good. Is the plug crunched are just corroded? Was it running fine before you stopped ridding?

Yeah it was running ok from what I remember. The rubber boot for the coilpack was MIA on this plug so I'm kinda hoping that it was corroded and blew when I tried starting it. Bonehead move on my part not checking the plugs before getting started. It did crank at first but sounded like hell the few seconds it ran. Probably because it wasnt firing on all cyls. I haven't tried cranking it since pulling the plugs, I dont wanna damage anything more.

+1
    Dont want to say but, probably need to pull the head and make sure there is no more pieces of plug in the cylinder. Unless you have a bore scope or something like that to see. No wait maybe just pull the intake off, you could probably see in there with that off and get any pieces out with maybe a magnet.

+1
    Man those things are filthy rust. If the rubber boot on the coilpack was bad you shoulda atleast taped the hole off with duct tape or something to keep the moisture out of there. Bummer. I wonder if there is rust inside the motor since the plugs are rust were the electrode is.

It wouldn't surprise me. Frustrating thing is I wasn't the one to lose the boot either but I won't get into that. It's due for a good check up anyway so maybe it's better off. I say that now of course with out knowing exactly how much she's gonna need. On the bright side only a few payments left lol. I hate riding in Salt water!!

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    By the looks of the plug damage... it appears that it dropped-stuck a valve as you were trying to start it. Was the engine properly winterized to sit up for a year... I'm guessing not

Yeah probably not. I kept it inside but I don't think I fully winterized it. It's really no one's fault but my own I should know better. Hopefully she's not too bad I'll see though.

+1
    I'm thinking you have to pull the head just to be sure there's no carnige (rings, valves, etc.) in there. Sooooo while the head is off may as well do a valve job (light weight valves & springs) and some port and polish. May as well make the best of a bad situation, eh? Good luck.
    OBJ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information