Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

What Depth Finders have you used and have had success with

what depth finder do you use or have used, through hull, or transom transducer

+1
    anyone

+1
    I just installed a factory Seadoo depth guage. It is a through hull. I am getting it activated later this week, with plans to ride next weekend. Let you know how it works.
    Last edited by troyheb; 08-30-2010 at 07:40 AM.

I use a hummingbird HDR 610 through-the-hull transducer, worked great even while cruising around 40mph. It is very important on how you mount the transducer on the bottom of the hull. If small bubbles are left in the epoxy it can give false readings.

what is your intentions with the depth sounder?
    is it just to know the depth or are you looking for more info such as bottom composition, marking bait, structure, etc?

you lose a significant amount of power, sensitivity and accuracy using an in-hull as most FF on a sled are inexpensive and low power units and not a high performance 1kw+, so IMO, for fishing, you'd be better served with a transom mount xducer mounted on the ski's transom rather than an in-hull installation. The inexpensive low power units were never designed for an in-hull installation.

My GPS/FF (humminbird 798c SI) has a relatively large transducer which i chose to transom mount to take full advantage of the down and side imaging ability.

+1
    only want it for depth, not for fishing

Quote Originally Posted by cdoofishr View Post
    what is your intentions with the depth sounder?
    is it just to know the depth or are you looking for more info such as bottom composition, marking bait, structure, etc?

you lose a significant amount of power, sensitivity and accuracy using an in-hull as most FF on a sled are inexpensive and low power units and not a high performance 1kw+, so IMO, for fishing, you'd be better served with a transom mount xducer mounted on the ski's transom rather than an in-hull installation. The inexpensive low power units were never designed for an in-hull installation.

My GPS/FF (humminbird 798c SI) has a relatively large transducer which i chose to transom mount to take full advantage of the down and side imaging ability.

what ski do you have? some come capable with an relatively easy module to display depth on the digital cluster.

Otherwise,
    for simple depth, in-hull (shoot thru) is your best route and the give you the nicest look as the xducer will be hidden inside the hull without any wires showing.
    you need to test your intended xducer install location before doing your permanently installing to insure there is solid glass and no air voids that would seriously hinder your performance.

2 part epoxy install (careful to avoid bubbles) should give you the best install.

i'd recommend a simple digital depth gauge sounder as it'll be the easiest to install (glove box or steering area)
    something like Standard Horizon - DS41, or Hawkeye In-Dash Digital depth (2") or just about any 2" round digital depth gauge as they are all very similar IMO.
    There's a thread or two on the Hulk of members discussing and showing the install of these 2" units if you do a search.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by troyheb View Post
    I just installed a factory Seadoo depth guage. It is a through hull. I am getting it activated later this week, with plans to ride next weekend. Let you know how it works.
    This thing works great. It is really neat being able to now know how deep the waterways we cruise are.
    btw I put it in my RXTX

+1
    pictures of my new installed, D11SB hawkeye depth finder. great product easy to fit and very accurate, fitted in a kawasaki ultra250x, glued the transducer inside the hull in the R/H rear, fitted the brains box in where the battery is stowed and double side taped the gauge to the dash using a piece of 90deg aluminium, the warning alarm just zipped in behind the gauge cluster.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17102010120.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	218019   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17102010123.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	81.8 KB 
ID:	218020   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17102010122.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	218021   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17102010121.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	77.3 KB 
ID:	218022   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	05102010115_2.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	218023  

I need one but don't have much room thinking of using one off a junk boat from the marine shop down the street.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information