Not Another RXP W/ Low RPM's........

With all these RXP's having rpm issues I thought I would post up my issue. So since last year my ski is only pushing about 7100-7200. At first I suspected the piggyback harness but it was there. Ran is last year because I didn't want to deal with it. During the winter I pulled the SC and found it was slipping @ 6lbs, sent to Jerry and had the washers changed. When I took it apart I found a few nice small holes in my intake tubing so I changed that as well. Slapped it back together, didn't check Jerry's work because I trust his work , and headed back on the water. So heading out I have about half a mile of no wake then I take off and I see the tach reading up towards 7800 but then a few seconds in it starts to drop again. I decided to pull of the piggy back to see if it makes a difference because the day before I took it to the dealer to have them fix my VTS on buds and I assume it automatically reflashes for the harness when hooked up, is this correct? I am not sure if I noticed a difference in the removal of the harness but it may have bc it was reading around 6900-7000 now. I ran it all day and as the day went so did the RPM's, lower and lower.

This last Friday I pulled out the intercooler, flushed it bc the original owner never had a strainer, it came out pretty clean on the water side, the air side was a bit dirty. Thing is I have noticed some salt in the air side, assuming maybe the intake took on some water. I did a compression test on the IC and everything was fine.

Then I noticed a nice dark spot on the inner hull next to where the J-pipe and exhaust manifold meet. Took it apart and noticed a nice chunk was missing from the exhaust manifold. So now my question, would this leak be enough to drop my RPM's by almost 1000? I have been trying to find my issue for a year now and it's driving me nuts!!!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by GTLaser View Post
    Then I noticed a nice dark spot on the inner hull next to where the J-pipe and exhaust manifold meet. Took it apart and noticed a nice chunk was missing from the exhaust manifold. So now my question, would this leak be enough to drop my RPM's by almost 1000? I have been trying to find my issue for a year now and it's driving me nuts!!!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated....
    If your air intake is still grabbing air from under the hood inside the hull then For sure it will! That will explain why it started to drop rpm after a few seconds of WOT. It's choking. Are you talking about the bell housing on the manifold where it goes into the J pipe? That's a common issue & there's a stainless steel bell mod that Steve Friebe does to cure it.

To be sure this is the issue try running it without the seat on & see if the rpm stay up there or drop only slightly..

I was going to run it without the seat but some nice T-storms came through yesterday so I didn't have a chance to test it.

Do you have Steve's contact info?

Thanks!

Thread Information