Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Motec/vipec and heat

You guys running motec/vipec where did you mount the unit and have you had the limiter kick in because of heat?

I have mine mounted on the back side of the divider on the exhaust side and I am not running a water box so I thing my exhaust generates more heat than if I had the water box. I have noticed that when it is hot 98-100 outside and I have run the ski for a while it will not open up it acts like the limiter kicks in around 7000-7300 I can shut it off and it will run good then it starts again.
    I was out Friday in the heat and it was doing this then I rode again after 6 when the temps were down in the lower 90`s and it ran perfect just trying to find out if I need to move the unit up front add more fuel pressure or is it something else. I do have a couple of data logs that I will post if you guys think that would show if it was heat related as I am still learning what all these numbers mean

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by shhr View Post
    You guys running motec/vipec where did you mount the unit and have you had the limiter kick in because of heat?

I have mine mounted on the back side of the divider on the exhaust side and I am not running a water box so I thing my exhaust generates more heat than if I had the water box. I have noticed that when it is hot 98-100 outside and I have run the ski for a while it will not open up it acts like the limiter kicks in around 7000-7300 I can shut it off and it will run good then it starts again.
    I was out Friday in the heat and it was doing this then I rode again after 6 when the temps were down in the lower 90`s and it ran perfect just trying to find out if I need to move the unit up front add more fuel pressure or is it something else. I do have a couple of data logs that I will post if you guys think that would show if it was heat related as I am still learning what all these numbers mean
    If you have MoTeC then yes please post the file, it should easily tell us your problem, it is unlikely to be the ECU getting too hot as we have the same product mounted under the bonnet of the latest EVO 10 turbo rally cars, they run in the middle east dessert all day with no probs. Its probably going to be your engine temp getting too hot, either way the file will tell us.

Cheers

+1
    I don't think it's the actual ECU box overheating rather the engine temps are too high.

The ECU will reduce timing to the motor as the temp rises over certain limits. More heat = less timing.

The only way to overcome this is to add extra cooling to the motor and intercooler. Then you are set.

Post log files as some of us freaks love looking at that stuff (as long as it's a motec. lol). But I think your's will be a Vipec??

Good morning Pete

Add an aftermarket ECU...............add a cooling kit at the same time.
    Last edited by Gunna; 08-15-2010 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Motec Pete too fast with replies.

+1
    I keep getting invalid file when I try to load I saved it to a excel file but no luck any ideas

My Vipec did the exact same thing at the same time when we were riding together at mudbug.
    I downloaded a log file after i got back from mudbug and found the temps get really close to the 100C/212F rpm limiter pretty quick in the summer heat.
    I took my thermostat out, put in the small R&D ring.
    Taking out the thermostat knocked off a steady 8-10C on coolant temps.

+1
    Ross you have mail

also my thermostat is already out

+1
    The problem with taking the thermostate out is the motor takes ages to warm up (10 to 15 minutes) and the temp does not maintain a standard level to tune things around. This is not ideal. Plus add extra wear from colder parts (I know it's stinkin hot of there but...).

Fit cooling kit, run with the thrmostate in and all will should
    be good..

2 cent donation if it helps.

Depends on the water supply temps Gunna... Our water temp here and in the midwest is in the low 90s, with air temps around 100 or above in the midwest.
    With R&D cooling kit and thermostat in my engine, engine temps near 100C, which is boiling point, and too hot.
    Without my thermostat my engine temp is 70C in 4 minutes and stays between 70 and 80C depending on how hard your throttling up.
    70C is right at 160F, 80 is 176F, right where i want to be...

+1
    Becareful taking the theromstat out, when mine was out I got "gas in oil". I can't explain why but I did. Thermostat is back in and no gas in oil.!? Maybe there is a differrent thermostat that could be put in.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rossnemo View Post
    Depends on the water supply temps Gunna... Our water temp here and in the midwest is in the low 90s, with air temps around 100 or above in the midwest.
    With R&D cooling kit and thermostat in my engine, engine temps near 100C, which is boiling point, and too hot.
    Without my thermostat my engine temp is 70C in 4 minutes and stays between 70 and 80C depending on how hard your throttling up.
    70C is right at 160F, 80 is 176F, right where i want to be...
    Very true Ross......... I should be a little more specific with advice.

We are in sub-tropical conditions in Brissy and things don't get too cold even in winter but we don't have the dry heat like the mid US states in summer.
    Either way it's pretty easy to remove/replace the thermostate when you need. 10mm socket, big pliers and a tube of gasket goo. The trick is to read the temps if you don't have motec/vipec and data log access.

We aim at an operating temp of 85c +/- 5c. Over that the motec starts robbing timing in three stages (I'm sure it would be the same in the vipec). Below that I'm waiting for the next thing to break.

Thanks Ross,

Dean

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information