Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Aftermarket waterbox - wasting my money or ???

Sorry if this seems like a newbie question guys.

A little background first - i'm a drag racer coming over to the water now and one of the first mods you do on a car is to uncork the stock style choked up exhaust system. With that in mind, is a waterbox a waste of money for what i'm looking for?

I do like the 'rumble' of a good sounding exhaust, I used to race quads back when I was younger. The future plan for my 97 XP is mainly handling mods but the TDR waterbox (Only company I know of at this time) is very intriguing to me. I realize that a lot of folks do not like the obnoxious sounds but again, I own a drag car that I sometimes run with open downpipe (turbo car). The noise level does not bother me, and to be honest I actually would like the sound (from clips i've seen).

Any performance advantage that you get from a waterbox? I do not wish to spend $200 just for sound, I can justify it if there's another advantage to having one even tho i'm not looking for top speed mods.

Any other companies that make them? How about swapping in a waterbox from the 97 SPX style? I have an SPX also and have read that it has the best waterbox that Seadoo made for the 787.

Maybe a little help on what the waterbox actually does so that I understand it's relevance to the ski?

Thanks all

+1
    The sound may not bother you, but it bothers others & gives PWC a bad name.

Ok, noted, is there any performance advantage or is it pretty much a wash? How about the question about swapping in the 97 SPX style waterbox, any gains with that?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by water worx View Post
    it bothers others & gives PWC a bad name.

Really???please explain????Does that mean Baja and Fountain give boating a bad name??Their exhaust is far more louder than any PWC ive ever seen...Well, accept for mine maybe...

I run TDR boxes on both my skis..Im running RXPs and i have some people tell me they are loud and other people tell me they love the sound...Its all your preference..I would say go with the TDR box..You wont be dissapointed..

Is there a performance gain with them or am I spending 200 bucks on a sound system? That's the question i'm after.

+1
    You will see a performance gain BUT your gonna want to check your A/F ratios..You may end up leaning out your ski a tad and have to have the carbs re adjusted...

Mostly loud w/o much of any noticeable pef. gain. IMO, I would spend the $200 on PROK Flame Arresters and re-jetting the Carbs.
    You will definately get some gains there. Add a little more compression to the head and then you'll be cooking on that 787 Engine.
    Most builders keep the original WaterBox or go with the white box from the SPX. There is a science to getting proper back-pressure on the two-stroke to create a "scavenging" effect through intake and boost ports. Baffles have a purpose.
    In any case, some peeps will *always* be offended by the sound of a two-stroke's whinnnggggg-a-dinnnnggggg-dinnnnnggggg-dinnnnnngggg revs.

Fountain? Baja? ---add Outerlimits and Skater Catz with open headers--now your talking some BIG sound! Hell, there are some Wakeboats around here w/ open tubes that are just as obnoxious running back and forth all day long churning up the water and eroding my shoreline. It's all how you view what is considered "obnoxious"--surely, the owners of these machines dont think so---

OK, off my soapbox now lol

DvD

+1
    Thanks David, Im not real familiar with the 2 strokes BUT i know what the TDR boxes did for my skis...BUT again,they are 4 strokes.....Snail, I would listen to Dave more on this than me..Like i said, im not educated enough in the modifications of the 2 strokes as much...

Thank you both, great information!

Dave - i'm not too interested in performance parts as much as I was interested in the sound quality. I'd rather not start investing in flame arrestors and rejetting anything, we have a 525rwhp low 10 second mustang drag car already, not sure the wife would be happy to know that i'm building a race ski now.

Although that being said, i'm sure she already knows that the ski's being stock isn't going to work for me. 20 years of marriage and she knows exactly how I am about modding everything I touch LOL

+1
    My buddy has a 29 foot fountain with a 525 in it (585hp) it sounds wicked nasty and runs a clean 72mph as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information