Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Trashed my impeller last night!

Went for a nice easy evening ride on the Sacramento River last night. Everything went well till things got shallow for a second and I sucked up a rock. Shut her down right away, bounced on the back, fired her back up, and sounded smooth. So I pushed off to get deeper and hit the button........started and then locked up.

Dammit! Now I'm floating without power and the water is moving pretty good. Tried to paddle to the shore so I could roll it over and work on it, but the current was keeping me in the middle.

By this time I figured better call my wife and a friend to tell them what was up. So I then flipped it over while floating to see what was up......two large rocks wedged in there tight. Didn't have anything to get in there with and could not turn the engine over by hand, so I thought we might have to figure out a rescue strategy.

After I flipped the ski back over, the box had filled with water, so the cell phone was done. Luckily I had my submersible HAM radio with me to call for some help. I was 5 miles up river from the next bridge/ ramp and the river was flowing an average 4mph, so we had an hour. My wife met one friend at the north ramp to pick up my truck and trailer that was 20 miles upriver. Another friend stopped to pick up 100' rope and they all headed down to try to get me out.

The river is flowing like crazy this time of year and floating down without power was pretty scary. As I came to an island in the middle I tried to paddle for it, but again failed. Just then I heard a v-8 roaring toward me, so I though I would be saved....wrong, the dude went up the other chute and didn't look back to see me. By this time I had figured out the trees on the side wouldn't get me since i couldn't paddle to shore anyway. Finally a tiny aluminum boat came up and tied on. He didn't have enough HP to pull me but at least he could steer me around. A few mins later, the big jet boat came back and pushed me back to the ramp where everyone was waiting.

Happy ending........well at least I didn't die, but the impeller is pretty trashed. Pulled the pump as I wanted to check the bearings anyway....perfect excuse now.

Moral of the story is.......don't go out without a buddy. If they are to lazy to go with you, don't go!

So after that......here is the important part:

Bearings are good smooth, but I think maybe I should do the wet pump mod while it is apart? Do a full rebuilt to 2010 spec. this winter. Should I just sent the impeller to Impros and have them work magic on it? from reading here, looks like the stock impeller is the best for my mixed rec. riding, so I guess just stay with that?

What do the experts think?

+1
    IMHO skip the wet pump mod. Post up some pics of the prop. Many times you can clean up the edges with a wizzer wheel and a file to save yourself some coin. For sure go twin front bearing and consider doing the coonass mod at the same time.
    Good Luck

Talk about up the river without a paddle . . .

Thanks for sharing the story, a good lesson to keep in mind for all.

Sorry to hear about yer impeller, but it could'a been worse. Good luck with the repair.

There is no way I'm gonna clean that up with a file and then spin it 8000+ rpm........well maybe if I was outta town on a trip. I'm thinking just have them reman the prop and toss it back together, then I'll do a full rebuild this winter. Only have maybe 20-30 hours left this season. Hate to waste two+ weeks getting it back together waiting for parts. Supposed to be over 100 deg. all this week!

I'm going to get a collapsible paddle for both skis now. I don't know if that would have worked, but seems like a good idea anyway.

I figured some would enjoy the story since it was kinda stupid to go alone.

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    ive seen worse, as long as you have all 3 blades you can make it work., knock the damage off with a grinder, file and sharpen the edge and run it until you get a new one.

Sean

I thought about that, but a new OE one is like $350. Seems the aftermarket ones are not desired or I would just go that route.

+1
    exactly that is an easy fix, and done right should not give any future problems, use a worn flapper type sanding disc on an angle grinder and it will pollish up like a new one. will only take like 5mins.

Quote Originally Posted by smokeysevin View Post
    ive seen worse, as long as you have all 3 blades you can make it work., knock the damage off with a grinder, file and sharpen the edge and run it until you get a new one.

Sean

+1
    yep, easy cleanup....wizz and grind it up! keep the $350 in your pocket for another day..

If you guys say so........

Ill borrow a impeller tool tomorrow and do it up...back on the water for "Wet Wednesday" baby! I'll send it in this winter when I do the 2010/coonass pump mods.

Left Hand Thread correct? Can't get the SOB off! Turns 1/4 turn and stops. Soaked it with PB Blaster last night.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information