Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

96 GSX new motor

Hello all,

Just installed a new motor in my GSX. However it willl not go above 3K rpms. and when it does it only when it first starts but sounds like it bogs down and will only run at 3k rpms or less. Any ideas?

+1
    did you clean/rebuild the carbs? do you still have the grey tempo lines? did you clean the fuel selector switch? need more info. does it idle fine? does it bog and die only with throttle or die on its own?

+1
    Yes cleaned and rebuild cards. fuel lines all new. fuel seclector clean. idles fine. it does not die. just bogs and jumps a little if i give it gas. does not matter if 1/4 to full throttle. once it hits 3K rpms its just bogs. however when it first starts up it will go full 7K + sound and runs fine for 2-3 min then bogs back down and will not go over 3k. Some times when I shut it down and resart it will run great but only 2-3 min at a time.

+1
    are you giving it throttle when it goes up to 7k? is the ski in the water when it does this or on the trailor? are you sure you didn't get the fuel lines backwards? i.e. return-supply, reserve-vent-on-return

+1
    mibunkerking
    are you giving it throttle when it goes up to 7k? is the ski in the water when it does this or on the trailor? are you sure you didn't get the fuel lines backwards? i.e. return-supply, reserve-vent-on-return
    ski on trl and water. on trl I do not leave it at high rpms only idle to a bust to full just to see if it will do it. Fuel lines are not crossed. check twice. Some one said pop off value on motor? Carb pop off is good and clean.

+1
    it sounds like you have fuel problem. either your way to rich, way to lean or you are not getting enough fuel to the carbs. what does your plugs look like?

+1
    The first set of plags was failed. witch I am expecting since new motor and I am running a little extra oil in the gas. second set ok but not a full hr on them yet. Could it be the rave values? not even show what they do.

+1
    the RAVES raise the exhaust port timing for better topend. low end will suck if they are stuck open. if stuck closed you will miss topend rpms. neither should cause you bog out. you could have a bad rectifier. simple way to test is to unplug the red wire going to it and see if the problem goes away. if it does replace it. dont be out to long because nothing is charging the bettery. try that and post back. search the word "rectifier" for more info.

+1
    the RAVES raise the exhaust port timing for better topend. low end will suck if they are stuck open. if stuck closed you will miss topend rpms. neither should cause you bog out. you could have a bad rectifier. simple way to test is to unplug the red wire going to it and see if the problem goes away. if it does replace it. dont be out to long because nothing is charging the bettery. try that and post back. search the word "rectifier" for more info.

+1
    Thanks so much for your input. Will try it this weekend. Where is the rectfier at? or what does it look like?

Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information