Mystery Black Box - Can I delete?

OK, so I traced the problem with my trim. There is an orange wire that carries the positive current to the switch. It passes through a mysterious black box in the bottom of the electrical. There is a yellow wire carrying current into the box, and both red and orange wires coming out. The red wire has juice, the orange does not. If I simply bypass the orange wire, then the trim works nicely. So what is this mystery box and do I really need it?
    Last edited by pinchvalve; 08-15-2010 at 06:28 PM. Reason: misspelling

OK, I found out that it is the REGULATOR, RECT/CUT OFF. (#6 in this drawing: http://216.37.204.206/alljet/Polaris...pe=13&A=5&B=11)

That box is basically like a relay. When the engine is running, it sends power to the trim motor and bilge pump. Don't bypass it, replace it.

On another thought, are you sure your bilge pump is working?

Home grown engineer, and professional tinkerer. 2 Strokin' Polaris's Avatar
    I am unsure of what modle ski you are running, but it sounds like you are trying to delete the LR23 for 1992-1998 SL models, or the LR31-2 on 1999-2000 slx/pro models. I would advise against it. It is a voltage regulator.

Sorry, it is a 95 SL 750. The "when running" is a good point. I found that the fuse was bad, and when I put in a new one the MFD started working. (Cool!) The orange wire still has no power from the regulator, but I have not started the ski yet. I will test it with an Ohm meter, but I can't find the spec of what is normal.

And as for the Bilge pump, this ski came with an aftermarket one. I don't think it had a factory one.

Home grown engineer, and professional tinkerer. 2 Strokin' Polaris's Avatar
    I would assume that with the regulator allowing current to pass you would see a 12-14 volt reading going to the trim motor with the engine running, and the switch being pressed in the up or down position.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by pinchvalve View Post
    ...There is an orange wire that carries the positive current to the switch. It passes through a mysterious black box in the bottom of the electrical.

There is a yellow wire carrying current into the box, and both red and orange wires coming out. The red wire has juice, the orange does not.

If I simply bypass the orange wire, then the trim works nicely. So what is this mystery box and do I really need it?
    Until you understand how an electrical system works, be very careful about removing, bypassing, and changing things around.

The LR 'voltage regulator' module has a ground connection, two inputs, and two 'outputs'. The Red/Purple is the battery feed wire, and it always has full battery voltage.

The Orange wire is a switched power output from the LR module. Orange gets power when the LR module detects that the engine is rotating (cranking or running).

The Yellow wire has two functions. It has an AC voltage from the magneto stator whenever the engine is rotating, and that RPM signal is also sent to the MFD display tachometer. Paradoxically for some, the Yellow wire is also the connection by which the regulator rectifies and regulates the battery charging current.

When the engine is off, the Yellow wire will measure full battery voltage. When the engine is running, the Yellow wire carries a chopped AC signal that reflects engine RPM.

In general, every component that Polaris put into your PWC is there for a reason. Sometimes the functions of a part may not be obvious, but a good perspective is that if it is in there, it probably needs to be in there.

I was thinking of simply bypassing the orange wire so that I could get power to my trim motor. That way I can ride this weekend in case a replacement regulator doesn't arrive in time. I am not even sure that it is fried, I have to try it with the engine running to really know. Thanks for the advice though, I am not one to mess with electrics on something that could strand me in the middle of a lake!

Result

I got the ski running tonight, and no love from the trim switch. I am going to replace the regulator, good insurance anyway.

Thread Information