+1

Question opinions/ safety of rear exit exhaust

I am thinking about adding the riva rear exit exhaust on my fzr. My main concern is how safe is it to run the rear exit. We've all seen horrifying pictures of cracked nanoxcell boats and no way in hell do I want that to be me. Does adding the rear exit weaken the rear of the hull at all? Or does it put more strain on other areas of the hull? I am an ocean rider so there will be constant impact in that area due to wave jumping. Also, is there a greater chance of water getting into the engine with the rear exit? I figure if I am wave jumping water would easily rush into the exhaust.....

Just trying to stay safe over here

+1

+1
    I'm sure there are more qualified people to answer this but I will give my humble opinion.

I don't think the through-hull exhausts are causing the cracked hulls. Correct me if I'm wrong but I was thinking most of the cracked hulls I've seen are cracked on the left side and not the right where the through-hulls traditionally are located.

With this said, cutting a 3" or whatever size hole in a hull is a big hole that wasn't there before.

My personal opnion is that I will not do it. There are enough issues with hull cracks without putting a big ole honking hole in the back end. I am sure some will disagree and that's cool, just my opnion.

+1
    After thinking about this, I wonder if the through-hull bracket (that sandwiches the hull on the outside and the inside) actually strengthens this area...

Personally, I want to do the Tommy Jordan mod and install the Riva waterbox. I am not a big fan of being loud. Draws attention from watercops.

+1
    You both bring up great points and my problem with the rear exit is that cannot be beneficial to the strength of the hull which is why I am so hesitant. I think for flat water conditions the rear exit is a no brainier, but once you bring in pounding offshore waves into the equation the rear exit becomes more questionable.

However, I have access to a plastics machine shop so if I did go with the rear exit I could have some hard plastic (or aluminum) cut out as a custom backing plate.

Thread Information