Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winterization

Winterization

Can anyone spell out the winterization process for a 2005 RXP?

+1

how dare you bring up such a subject this early in the season!!! lol

and I thought we had early winters in Maine!

Just trying to get a head start, trying to figure out if I can do this myself,
    can you guys give me a quick education on the cone and grease part of this storage procedure?

thanks Danny B

Quote Originally Posted by danbal21
    can you guys give me a quick education on the cone and grease part of this storage procedure?

thanks Danny B
    Dan:

There is nothing to do with the cone. For giggles, take off the cone and take a look at the inside. The cone holds grease (Which does no good really). I plan on inspecting the cone grease to make sure that no water got in there and packing some of the grease that made its way to the back of the cone right on the bearings)

Getting the cone off is a matter of pulling off the alan screw bolts (3) and gently prying off the cone with a metal spatula or a flathead screw driver. Just work the THIN blade screw driver around the edges and it will eventually let go.

I was sort of afraid of the "mysterious" propulsion system until I took it apart the first time (See hulks tech tip section). It is pathetically easy to get off the pump on a RXP. Get a prop tool and change out or flip the wear ring while you are in there.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff C
    Quote Originally Posted by danbal21
    Dan:
    There is nothing to do with the cone. For giggles, take off the cone and take a look at the inside. The cone holds grease (Which does no good really). I plan on inspecting the cone grease to make sure that no water got in there and packing some of the grease that made its way to the back of the cone right on the bearings)
    The grease does do good, it eliminates changing the oil on the cone every winterization! My 97' GTI had water in the cone. I checked it late in the riding season when I did a pretty decent size repair, I thought it would be ok for the next summer but there actually was water in it and it broke again. With the RXP the grease is supposed to last 'forever'.. Atleast that it what I heard.

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    the grease does more than you think..... next to zero maintenance and when that pump gets spinning and hot the grease is sloshing around alot more than ya may think.... when u pull it off it's all spun to the back of the cone bc of the aftereffects of the pump slowing and coooling off and sitting.

THANKS FOR THE HELP GUYS, i don't want to sound stupid but what part is the cone? Is it the shround in the back where the water comes out?
    Pretend I know nothing? Which is almost true, but I learn fast.

What I meant was that the EXTRA grease that is in the back of the cone that is away from the bearings does no good back there. I realize grease is good.

Dan:

Take a flashlight and look from the back into your pump. You will see a greenish "cone" right in the middle, just behind the vanes. That is your pump cone.

Take a few minutes and pull off your pump, that is the only way to get to the cone. It is pathetically easy to get off and back on again. Remember to torque per spec and use locktite

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information