Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Want to beat Dad's ski....help!

So my Dad runs a 1390 GPR with full porting, other mods he won't tell me....I want to beat him so bad! I have a 1200 GPR with mods listed in signature. Would triple pipes and a head mod beat him? He runs 73-75 GPS....My top run is 67 MPH in perfect conditions....But it's more like 65 tops real world...I know all about the pump mods needed for running above 72 MPH (bucking), so I am ok with doing that. But as for triple pipes, are they really as much work (tweaking, adjusting, etc) as some say they are? Just looking for some help here...BTW, Dad's GPR is a beast. It may not run 88 MPH but it will easily beat any RXP/RXTs on our lake..It's SICK out of the hole, and hitting the power curve literally will give you muscle aches the next day...Any assistance would be appreciated...

And before you ask I don't want to big-bore it unless I have to...It runs really well as it is.

+1
    bump...I have done a ton of searches so I know what will make it go fast...I guess my biggest question is will triple pipes and a head mod get me to 1390 speeds? is it worth the price? or should I just go the 1390 route with more aggressive stuff beyond that to try to beat him...i'd like to keep the top end together but if that's what it takes....btw this will def. be a winter project so no rush....

Quote Originally Posted by cmgww View Post
    bump...I have done a ton of searches so I know what will make it go fast...I guess my biggest question is will triple pipes and a head mod get me to 1390 speeds? is it worth the price? or should I just go the 1390 route with more aggressive stuff beyond that to try to beat him...i'd like to keep the top end together but if that's what it takes....btw this will def. be a winter project so no rush....
    Well, my ported 1200 triple piper has been to 84mph (but I have spent hours upon hours dialing it in)...also a 73-75mph 1390 is missing something...it should do 80 without too much trouble, so it shouldn't take too much for you to catch up. I have had 3 triple pipe boats...yes, they are more work than a single for sure. If you're not exactly sure of what you're doing, they will be a headache...and even then, they still are...but I don't intend on going back to a single any time soon...Even the big singles don't hit like a triple piper does

Moderated
    So my Dad runs a 1390 GPR with full porting, other mods he won't tell me....I want to beat him so bad! I have a 1200 GPR with mods listed in signature. Would triple pipes and a head mod beat him? He runs 73-75 GPS....My top run is 67 MPH in perfect conditions....But it's more like 65 tops real world...I know all about the pump mods needed for running above 72 MPH (bucking), so I am ok with doing that. But as for triple pipes, are they really as much work (tweaking, adjusting, etc) as some say they are? Just looking for some help here...BTW, Dad's GPR is a beast. It may not run 88 MPH but it will easily beat any RXP/RXTs on our lake..It's SICK out of the hole, and hitting the power curve literally will give you muscle aches the next day...Any assistance would be appreciated...

And before you ask I don't want to big-bore it unless I have to...It runs really well as it is.
    firstly i think your dads ski is not tuned correctly as it should run easily 80+.

secondly: i dont like your chances of beating him with a 1200 unless its ported and triple piped....

so in short, with pipes tuned correctly ( not an easy task just ask the full set on my garage wall) and some other complimenting work , you could beat him but it wont be cheap. It would be cheaper to drop a stock rotax motor into your ski and run 80mph all day every day, that with a seadoo pump setup would make your dad so cut he would sell it and buy an FZR

+1
    Well, he did GPS at 77 but that was a peak reading...It's a monster out of the hole, maybe he wants it that way...he could probably go with a steeper prop, but he's really secretive about that thing, I don't know what prop he's running right now. It's kind of a cat and mouse game w/ him, all in fun though...keeping it below 80 is prob something he's done on purpose (wants good holeshot vs. top speed) because he's a master when it comes to 2 stroke Yam. engines...he had a 94 Raider doing 65+ in 1996, eating 1100s for lunch, a 98 GP doing high 60s, etc. Very meticulous....

+1
    What i learned the hard way is that all the money, and all the top of the line parts dont make you go fast. Its all in the tuning. I see on the board ( and im experiencing it right now) a well setup stock 1200 can be faster than a built ported 1300. its all about the hull tuning.

Moderated
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow 91 View Post
    What i learned the hard way is that all the money, and all the top of the line parts dont make you go fast. Its all in the tuning. I see on the board ( and im experiencing it right now) a well setup stock 1200 can be faster than a built ported 1300. its all about the hull tuning.

S91 you are correct, at the end of the day it does come down to tuning however regardless of your sentiments, a 1200cc no matter how well its tuned will not beat a well tuned 1390 that's running as expected.....there is simply no replacement for displacement

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by izz0 View Post
    S91 you are correct, at the end of the day it does come down to tuning however regardless of your sentiments, a 1200cc no matter how well its tuned will not beat a well tuned 1390 that's running as expected.....there is simply no replacement for displacement
    what i meant to say is just because he has a 1390, its all in the tuning to make the speed. Ive learned that in the car world.

Moderated
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow 91 View Post
    what i meant to say is just because he has a 1390, its all in the tuning to make the speed. Ive learned that in the car world.
    there is a big difference between fast and quick when it comes to performance and having both is no easy feat, thats where the tuning comes into it....... endless days and weeks of it.

+1
    ....I want to beat him so bad!
    This is a dark, long, expensive road you are looking at going down. We know, this is how we all started. Welcome to the Dark Side.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information