+1

Smile I just noticed this on my small bassboat trailer..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0971.JPG 
Views:	93 
Size:	225.8 KB 
ID:	210293Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0973.JPG 
Views:	82 
Size:	149.7 KB 
ID:	210292Hey all Does this happen often? I am glad that this was on my small bass boat and not on my ski... i just backed out the bolt and with a coupla taps she popped back into service any ideas why this happaned?

+1
    Hey Gig, I've seen that happen only once before and like you, just pulled the bolt and put the spring back in place. The only way I can figure is that the suspension came unloaded allowing the axle to drop down really quick pulling the back of the spring out???? It's not common and probably something I'd just keep an eye on.

+1
    Hey drew,
    ok good thing... I was kinda nervous but i just made it look like the other side and all is good again.... just on the other note parts are ordered and are due in shortly... hopefully before this upcoming weekend... i'll keep you in the loop!
    Gig

+1
    One of the springs broke on my jetski trailer, so I replaced them both. I learned that what it is called a "C Hook" spring or "Hook up slipper leaf spring". I bet you may be able to replace what you have with a C hook spring instead if you wanted to. Instead of the open type like you have now, it has a C that loops around that bolt. The C prevents it from unloading all the way and coming off. One of the users here recommended "redtrailers.com" as they were nice and cheap ($23.09 per spring). You would also need the bushing kit for it too.

+1
    Hey Surf,
    Thanks for the reply. I never thought ofreplacing my suspension.. but i think it might be a good idea to. thanks for the tips. I think that when i do i'll take your advice....
    The price is right.

had good results with trailerpartsdepot.com

+1

Question

thanks for the reply.... It just so happens that today i have to re do my bearings and seals. Depending on how much of a pain in the ass it is to do i'll either try it again next season or have the local triailer guy do it.. new bearings, repack and grease $80... good if you ask me... but i did want to try it with a buddy to see if if that much of a pain in the ass... my last semi hi milage tri one of my hubs got warm... i have to see whats goin on in there before i attempt another trip.
    I'll try that link for parts when i need them.. i guess they will only been useful for small parts.. i wonder if you need a an axel or hub how much they would bang you for shipping/freight?

+1
    Ok my 2 cents

Redtrailers. I have been to their "store" in Quakertown, Pa. All their stuff comes straight off the boat from China and arrives in large crates. The prices are cheap, and so is the quality.

Now about that spring. Some of my trailers are like that. It works well and with that set-up you don't need a shackle on the spring. It is allowed to move with no spring-wrap, and with no shackle allows for a lower trailer height.

Make sure and use some marine grease where the spring and frame ride. Also, be sure that when loaded the spring is far enough back on the bolt, and not sitting close to the edge. When it is close is when it pops out when the suspension unloads as mentioned above. It looks ok in pic 2

+1
    The C-Hook does not require a shackle. It is also a "slip" mechanism, but it surrounds the bolt instead of just being on top of it. That prevents it from slipping past the bolt and will "hold" if it becomes totally unloaded.

I have a 2005 Lil Rider and it almost looks identical to the one you are working on now, but the mounting points for the springs are fixed (welded) unlike yours that have u-bolts and could be moved (that's actually very cool).

Thread Information