Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tuning Idle out of water

Okay so I just got my carbs back in and I wanted to start it on the hose to check the idle before taking it out on the water. I read somewhere that the idle should be approximately 3000RPM out of the water. I have been messing with the idle set screw and I was suprised how sensitive it is to adjustments. I can get it to idle steady at just under 4000rpms but if I go any lower the idle slowly drops until the engine just quits. If I go any higher the engine revs up uncontrollably.

Also, at the current setting I cannon burp the throttle, the engine just bogs. If I slowly press the throttle the RPM's will go up but never come back down to idle speed.

Any ideas what might be the issue?

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    You CANNOT adj carbs in your driveway. There's no load on the engine at all.

okay, I just wanted to get the idle speed in the ballpark so I don't hog the launch ramp trying to get the ski started. I will put it in the water and see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    You CANNOT adj carbs in your driveway. There's no load on the engine at all.
    Does running with the hose simulate load?
    Or does that not really work the same way?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by thehemi View Post
    Does running with the hose simulate load?
    Or does that not really work the same way?
    No, it's not the same.

Running it on the hose only runs water through your cooling system.

You need impeller load to create engine load, which the water in your cooling system doesn't do.

Quote Originally Posted by a_kraker99 View Post
    okay, I just wanted to get the idle speed in the ballpark so I don't hog the launch ramp trying to get the ski started. I will put it in the water and see how it goes.
    You have to do it in the water as xlint stated. After we did mine, we made adjustments as per the Clymer Manual and I was idling at about 2900 rpms. Once I put it in the lake it needed almost no adjustment at all. The idle is going to vary out of the water when there is no load on the motor.

+1
    You can try to ballpark it, but any small adjustments you make is going to have a big difference on the engine when out of the water.

Get it running between 2600-3000 RPM and then leave it on the trailer at the ramp. (get there early to not "hog" it)

Then fire it up and adjust it right then and there. Shouldn't take more than 3 mins to get you in the ballpark. You can then "fine tune" once on the water.

Leave your seat on land and you can get quick access to the adj screw.

Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    You can try to ballpark it, but any small adjustments you make is going to have a big difference on the engine when out of the water.

Get it running between 2600-3000 RPM and then leave it on the trailer at the ramp. (get there early to not "hog" it)

Then fire it up and adjust it right then and there. Shouldn't take more than 3 mins to get you in the ballpark. You can then "fine tune" once on the water.

Leave your seat on land and you can get quick access to the adj screw.
    Do you leave the flame arrester off when making high speed adjustments? If so, wouldn't that throw off your adjustments a little due to increased air flow?

I was able to get the ski in the water brielfy today. I got the idle around 1200-1300rpm but I was not able to hit the throttle at all. I had to feather it quite a bit for it to gain RPM's. This was at the stock settings of 5/8 turns out.

I started turning the low speed adjusters out and it seemed to help. I didnt have to feather the throttle much anymore. I am at about 1 1/4 turns out on all 3 screws right now. Should I go ahead and keep turning them out until I can nail the throttle without feathering at all? Seems to me like it shouldnt be that far from stock settings. Is that normal?

+1
    Do you leave the flame arrester off when making high speed adjustments? If so, wouldn't that throw off your adjustments a little due to increased air flow?
    Keep the FA on. It will prevent a flame in the event of a backfire.

I was able to get the ski in the water brielfy today. I got the idle around 1200-1300rpm but I was not able to hit the throttle at all. I had to feather it quite a bit for it to gain RPM's. This was at the stock settings of 5/8 turns out.

I started turning the low speed adjusters out and it seemed to help. I didnt have to feather the throttle much anymore. I am at about 1 1/4 turns out on all 3 screws right now. Should I go ahead and keep turning them out until I can nail the throttle without feathering at all? Seems to me like it shouldnt be that far from stock settings. Is that normal?
    What ski are you asking about?

Are there any engine mods done?

Did you rebuild the carbs and check pop off pressure?

Was the impeller swapped?

Does pulling the choke out help it?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information