Thread: NGK spark plugs

Unhappy NGK spark plugs

Hello all! I have a technical question with regards to Spark Plugs. After all the engine problems I have had, I finally got them sorted out and my ski's have been running awesome! This weekend I went to buy some new plugs for them (GTI LE-718's) I have been running the recommended BR8ES NGK's without any problems, but this weekend, I went to Autozone and they were out, so I went to O'reilly autoparts and got some there, I was not aware that there are two versions of the BR8ES plugs available- one resistor, one solid. my ski's ran aweful this weekend and I assume it's because they gave me resistor plugs -vs. solid. I mean, the ski's ran okay at times, but hard starting and fouling out quickly where the solid plugs never gave me this kind of trouble. Just thought I'd let everyone know what I experienced to save someone some grief in the future. I have Changed the plugs, but have to wait until this weekend to try them out, I'll let you know what I find out.
    Have a good one!
    Ben
    Last edited by Snipescastle2; 08-16-2010 at 12:55 PM. Reason: edit

+1
    The r in br8es is the resistor built inside the plug. The top is just the style top. This will not effect the performance of the ski. Some plug boots require the threaded stud to be showing with no top.

okay well, I need to do some more investigating. Thanks!
    Ben

Whats with all these different ngk br8es plugs ( 3961 solid , 7986 , 5422 , R )? Yes im confused , ive got br8es R in it and want to replace them are these the right ones? . Stock2001 xp. Thanks Phil

+1
    I have notice the spark plugs are look cheaper then the older ones I use to get. Probably because there made in a different country now. The BR8ES with the screw top seem to back off and the connection isn't as good. I like the solid one better for this reason. When buying spark plugs. Sometime they will give you the wrong ones. Also even giving you the wright box's wrong plug. BPR8ES are what I put in my 951 motor. But will hit on the piston in a 718. So make sure to look at the plug before installing. Here is a photo I snake off the net to show the deferents. I run the BPR8ES in my 951 motor for the elevation with where I live. It put the spark closer to the cylinder. For most people I would just stick to the BR8ES. Sorry for getting off track.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BGW-SparkPlug.jpg 
Views:	819 
Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	243761  

Cool NGK's

Yeah, I got a few of those "Wrong" ones before too. I insisted on the br8es and got two different plugs, I myself haven't had problems with connections,my woes were from a bad lean condition that I found after seizing two engines, finally got fed up and did everything from the ground up, pressure checked everything, found a cracked intake manifold, cut o ring and the shop who did my rebuild in the first place, probably didn't pressure check the block before it left their shop, because while I was pressure testing it, I found a whopper of a leak coming from one of the lower case bolts.....that guy dance around that problem, kept telling me my case was bad and needed new a one. took the bolt out and applied sealer to the threads, retorqued everything and made a full season and part of this season riding it with absolutely no issues. sorry to hijack the thread by the way. any way's, I suppose you could put dome dielectric grease in the plug boot and that may help your connection problem.
    Have a good one!
    Ben

Some ngk br8es plugs have R and 11 writtin under the br8es , whats that refer to? (resistor) or are they all the some apart from the tops

+1
    It must be a Marina thing. Like joe stang said the R in BR stand for resistor. Back in the day I used B8ES for my banshee and 250-R quads. The resistor plug conducts the spark better. Like for instants The car stereo will wine in your car with non resistor plugs. BR7ES are a hotter plug That might be used at elevation lakes 5000 feet. Or you might run a cooler BR9ES in the desert Lake at sea level where it is very hot. I am not sure but I think one of the BR8ES is a marina and one is stander. The difference is a coating on the spark plug I think so it hold up better in a water environment.

Thread Information