2004 GPR1300 Stock-have fault for EGT sensor (53)code

I have seached for hours on this and have not found an answer for this.

I have found that this will only happen when driving at a cruise speed like 30-35 mph. It will not happen any other times. The craft runs great weather this fault shows or not, even at full throttle the speed it runs great. This is also the only code that shows up.

Because this can be duplicated always at this speed I'm am wondering if this is just a bad spot in the sensor at that speed.

Has anyone ever had this happen to them? Any help would be great. Thanks in Advance Joe

based on the ski still running well:
    the sensor could be going bad. The exhaust temps could spike from a clogged/broken cat at those rpms/speed triggering the code...
    easiest thing to do is bypass it with a resistor chip, or borrow one from someone and see if the fault comes back...

welcome to the forum...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mylspen View Post
    I have seached for hours on this and have not found an answer for this.

I have found that this will only happen when driving at a cruise speed like 30-35 mph. It will not happen any other times. The craft runs great weather this fault shows or not, even at full throttle the speed it runs great. This is also the only code that shows up.

Because this can be duplicated always at this speed I'm am wondering if this is just a bad spot in the sensor at that speed.

Has anyone ever had this happen to them? Any help would be great. Thanks in Advance Joe
    if you are getting a 53, then the catalytic converter is probably getting too hot

replace it with a D-plate and by-pass the sensor with a premade chip or 1k ohm resister

Ya, I suspected that the cat was bad and/or the sensor was giving false signals to the control module.

I think, because I want to know which it is. I am going to run it down to the water on the trailer and run some tests. I will hook an ohm meter to sensor and monitor the cat with an infrared thermometer. I will run the speed up slowly and watch the two reading as I do it. If all of a sudden I see big changes in one and not the other or vise-versa, I will have an idea of what's going on. It may show me nothing but, we'll see. I've got a little over 2 hundred hours on this since new.

I am a Master-VW tech. Been doing that for 30 years. I never thought that the government would force all this crap on these boats like they did the cars. LOL

It will be a few weeks before I get back to this but, I will report what I do for it. If all it needs is the sensor I will do that but, not the cat. If that part is even close to the price they get for cars, it won't be getting one. Thanks Fellas

Quote Originally Posted by mylspen View Post
    Ya, I suspected that the cat was bad and/or the sensor was giving false signals to the control module.

I think, because I want to know which it is. I am going to run it down to the water on the trailer and run some tests. I will hook an ohm meter to sensor and monitor the cat with an infrared thermometer. I will run the speed up slowly and watch the two reading as I do it. If all of a sudden I see big changes in one and not the other or vise-versa, I will have an idea of what's going on. It may show me nothing but, we'll see. I've got a little over 2 hundred hours on this since new.

I am a Master-VW tech. Been doing that for 30 years. I never thought that the government would force all this crap on these boats like they did the cars. LOL

It will be a few weeks before I get back to this but, I will report what I do for it. If all it needs is the sensor I will do that but, not the cat. If that part is even close to the price they get for cars, it won't be getting one. Thanks Fellas
    that`s cool that you can evaluate that, but it would save you time to just replace that cat with a D plate... 200 hours is a lot of time on it, chances are it sh-t the bed...or a piece of it hit the sensor, who knows until you see it...

WFO knows these GPR`s, and that was sound advice...

I agree, I have a lot of respect for WFO.

I just want to update my thread. I did some testing and found that indeed the exhaust temp was running high. This was telling that EGT sensor was telling the truth. So I took it apart to find what we all thought, in that the cat broke loose in one piece and rolled down the pipe and got lodged.

Because of the cost of the cat and the known problems with them I will be getting a D-plate to resolve the issue.

I want to sy thanks to WFO for his knowledge.

+1
    no problem!

thats why were here

Thread Information