Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Got Milk? *Pics*

My Ultra has been getting milky oil under only the filler cap for the last 25 hours. Been keeping an eye on it ever since it began. Just this past weekend it made it's way to the dipstick after two days 4 hour days of towing wakeboarders. I don't think this is just "condensation" from hard riding...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2407.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	114.6 KB 
ID:	210434
    Just popped off the valve cover...

Name:	IMG_2405.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	66.1 KB 
ID:	210435
    First two cylinders, notice the water lines free of rust.

Name:	IMG_2403.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	210436
    Second two cylinders, notice the water lines full of rust.

Performance-wise I noticed heavy fuel consumption, and a lower top speed. After checking the dipstick at the end of the day I knew SOMETHING was wrong. Possible cracked head?

+1
    they arent water lines, good luck in finding the crack but if you do have one im betting head stud exhaust side between two and three cylinders. no need to pull the motor pull the head in the hull, when you refit put the exhaust manifold on first then install attached to the head.

What runs through these lines if it's not water? I noticed they run up to the BOV. Under one BOV it's clean (the side with the most milky sludge, and the other side is rusty (no water)

+1
    exhaust gas they go into the exhaust port pre '08 skis, we block them off on the '07 after that kawasaki started to block them off on top of the valve cover then the blocked them off in the casting process of the head in '09. you seem a bit confused they dont run to the BOV. they are the valves that control the exhaust gases (that you block off with plates). all to do with cleaner exhaust gas emmissions for the environment. but not really needed on the ski.

Quote Originally Posted by Mack77 View Post
    What runs through these lines if it's not water? I noticed they run up to the BOV. Under one BOV it's clean (the side with the most milky sludge, and the other side is rusty (no water)

+1
    before you disassemble i would do a couple of oil changes with cheap shit oil to get the moisture out of the bottom end. start it up on the hose and warm it up drop the oil do it a couple of times till the oil is clean then get your sucker into the top of the head to remove the rest.

+1
    $hit! Bring it back to TR kawi and have them figure it out. Dont you have an extended warranty?

Hey Scott,

Yes I do. The ski was just at the dealer for another issue. I brought up that i've been having some milky oil under the fill cap. It never made it's way to the dipstick so they said it could have been from my offhore riding. This is the first time the milky oil has made it's way to the dipstick, so its going back. Better to be safe than sorry.

I popped off the cover to see myself what's going on, but didn't want to dig any deeper. I'll try to diagnose the problem so I can explain it, but as far as repairing, i'll leave that job to the dealer while it's covered.

I'm confident TR will find the problem, and repair it properly!

and the problem will be a cracked head I am shure. A nightmare many of us have endured on this motor. This should not be happening. Good luck and make shure they check the bearings. Mine threw a rod 10 hours after they replaced the head with milk in the motor. Now they wont cover it again cause I reached my warranty limit (a Florida exclusion). So my 4 year warranty was really only a $8,000 warranty.

+1
    I have had milky oil under the filler cap for a while now, do you think its time to worry or is it normal to see it under the cap?

RedUltra: I've read your threads on the forum about your loss and trouble with the warranty. It's a good machine, and sucks yours had so many issues. Thanks for the info on the bearings...i'll be sure to look into it.

Fussy1: Pop off the valve cover and have a look for yourself. It's easy to do. I just took off part of the exhaust pipe, and then popped off the valve cover. Took about an hour to get everything off, and back together. The milky oil under my cap was the tip of the iceberg...As you can see from the first picture, it looks like cool whip under the cover. Pop it off when you have time, if it's just condensation then clean it out and bolt back together. If it looks like mine...you may have an issue.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information