+1

A Gpr Nightmare!!!

This is just stupid,does yamaha use cheap bolts or what? i realize this ski has been in salt water but geeeezzzzz,,,first it was the riva sponsons!!broke 3 off with a philips head screwdriver takeing those off,broke 2 off in the airfilter dapter,,2 off in the trim tabs,,1 off in the ride plate,,and now 1 in the pump housing hull inserts,,,and easyouts want get them out either,already broke one of those off as well,im havin to drill them out and then retap every hole,this has been a total nightmare,,i`ll never buy another ski thats been in saltwater period,,,that white corrosion is on every bolt on this entire ski.but the inside of the engine you could eat off of it its so clean,not even any salt in the water passages,unbelievable!!!!!!

+1
    thats just poor previous owner maintenance, my stuff gets washed, then hosed down with salt terminator, then rinsed, then dried ,then buffed. each time, everytime. inside and out. i know people who dont have a clue and it shows on their equipment. i can feel for you. vehicles we work on like plow trucks are thee worst from all the salt

+1
    yep my old ultra was like that too.. the previous owner did nothing to take care of it and when I whent to do a top end all three of the bolts that run hrought the carbs broke so i had to get a new set something like 1200 bucks

+1
    Good preventative maintenance could have prevented that.

+1
    Yup. I had a 96XP with the same problem. The PTO carb would not move after a can of PJ and cutting the heads off the bolts. I hit it with a BFH. It flew across the room with half the manifold.

+1
    Sorry fellas, but how do you maintain your ride plate, sponson bolts and pump bolts? Salt away is not going to get it all off. If the manufacturers wouldn't be such cheap asses, they could start the preventive maintanence from the get go. Its called using Anti Seize. But they don't use it and unfortunately we get stuck with the **** end of the stick.
    Sorry to hear about your bolts breaking off, but thats a reason why I do not purchase any salt water stuff. But you can't really blame the previous owner as it sounds like he took good care of the ski inside, you can't really do anything about the ride plate, pump and sponson bolts. The salt water just works its way in.
    Put anti seize on all the bolts when you reinstall everything, that way it will make it simpler next time you have to take them off. Good luck and I feel your pain. Seadoos are the worst when it comes to salt water.
    SHOOTER

I agree with the Anti seize but I dont think that it will help for everything. I dont think Yamaha uses the best quality bolt. And to be honest with you guys my GPR (the only Yamaha Ive owned) is not a very well built boat at all. I have alot of things just falling apart with mine.....
    Last edited by OutlawGPR; 10-18-2006 at 02:28 AM. Reason: sp

I havent read through every post on this subject here so this topic so this may be a repeat of an answer. You should be heating up the heasd of the bolt when it comes to bolts that attach parts to the hull especially. Carl taught me this one during the summer. it loosens up the loctite so you dont strip the lug thas epoxied in. Snapping the head from the shank, can't help ya with that one.

+1
    i bought a salt water boat and the owner did take care of it. never had any problems. just took the trim tabs off that had been on there six years. not a hint of a problem

....back from the dead.... J-ME's Avatar
    +1
    Yamaha uses some cheap bolts !

Even after washing down and protecting with WD or silicone some do rust.

Granted my 'ski is older than most of yours, alot of the hardware is either plated or A2 stainless.

NONE if the A4 hardware I have upgraded to has even started to turn.

Thread Information