Thread: Still bogging.

+1

Still bogging.

Here's what I've done so far to chase my bogging.

Really quick cliff notes of history:
    Bought ski that wouldn't lift the nose out of the water.
    Put in Dplate/chip. Cat was intact but loose in housing.
    Did Premix (running 40:1 Yamalube 2R), Wave Eaters, primers and had carbs rebuilt while I was in there.

I took the ski out today and pulled out of the no wake zone, start riding and it was running great. This is my 3rd time taking it out for a test. I was reallllly excited. It was finally running great. I eased on the throttle more and more for about a 1/2 mile. I wasn't even full throttle yet and I laid off to turn. As soon as I turned left it bogged down and went back to not being able to lift the nose out of the water. I was getting about 3-4Krpm on the stock tach and I went back to the beach and parked it.

Pulled off the seat and smoke and water were coming out of the stinger/waterbox gasket toward the bottom ( I think) I had a hard time seeing down there so I was feeling around.

The Power Valves were cycling when I started it and idled it in a circle, looking inside the hull. I have a feeling something is in the water box and it pushed water and exhaust out of that seal.

Tomorrow I'm pulling the fuel pick up to look at the flapper and put clunks on. Then I want to pull the water box out.

What do you guys think? Does it sound like I'm on the right track?

Hey Tommy I have had similar issues. Have the carbs been rebuilt? Also since this last time out whats your compression?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Pantsdown View Post
    Here's what I've done so far to chase my bogging.

As soon as I turned left it bogged down and went back to not being able to lift the nose out of the water. I was getting about 3-4Krpm on the stock tach ........

Pulled off the seat and smoke and water were coming out of the stinger/waterbox gasket toward the bottom ( I think) I had a hard time seeing down there so I was feeling around.

I have a feeling something is in the water box and it pushed water and exhaust out of that seal.

What do you guys think? Does it sound like I'm on the right track?
    Based upon what you are saying here, you have an exhaust leak, probably at the rubber coupler that ties the stinger and water box together. If you have an exhaust leak, then inside that very restricted hull compartment exhaust gases that are coming out of the stinger are going straight into your carbs and your engine cannot breathe.... so it bogs. The first thing that I would do is contact the original owner and ask him if he had worked on any part of the exhaust system, and if he did, what did he do and where did he open the exhaust system. If he did, then get some details and we will help you identify where the problem is.

Secondly, you can crank up your boat while on the water hose and check for smoke in your hull. The leak may be difficult to see in the day, but easy with a flashlight at night.

It may also be that you do in fact have parts in your stinger or (more than likely) water box, although this would not explain why you have smoke and steam in your hull. Only loose clamps would explain that. You may have to inspect all clamps on the exhaust for leaks.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny5 View Post
    Hey Tommy I have had similar issues. Have the carbs been rebuilt? Also since this last time out whats your compression?
    Carbs were rebuilt two weeks ago by my friend that works for Yamaha. I didn't pull a compression test last night. I plan on that tonight. Since I bought the ski it's been (F) 95, (M) 110, (R) 110. I'm aware these are critically low, in September/October I'm rebuilding. I just wanted to iron out this bog first. The ski still pulls great when I first take it out then bogs so I don't think it's related to that.

Quote Originally Posted by salty View Post
    Based upon what you are saying here, you have an exhaust leak, probably at the rubber coupler that ties the stinger and water box together. If you have an exhaust leak, then inside that very restricted hull compartment exhaust gases that are coming out of the stinger are going straight into your carbs and your engine cannot breathe.... so it bogs. The first thing that I would do is contact the original owner and ask him if he had worked on any part of the exhaust system, and if he did, what did he do and where did he open the exhaust system. If he did, then get some details and we will help you identify where the problem is.

Secondly, you can crank up your boat while on the water hose and check for smoke in your hull. The leak may be difficult to see in the day, but easy with a flashlight at night.

It may also be that you do in fact have parts in your stinger or (more than likely) water box, although this would not explain why you have smoke and steam in your hull. Only loose clamps would explain that. You may have to inspect all clamps on the exhaust for leaks.
    I'm pulling the stinger and water box tonight. I've had the stinger out 3 times in the past 4 weeks so it's no big deal. I really don't think I misfit the stinger into the coupler but you never know.

+1
    Well, here's what I did & here's what I found!

Fuel Flapper: Pulled the feed neck. The whole flapper was coming apart. I'll attach a picture. I removed the flapper, I also trimmed the RES line back 1/4-1/2inch back as it was against the bottom of the housing.

I'm trying to order Clunks from Jetski Solutions, they emailed me and said they'd call me so I can order. Until then I'm running without them. I'll just keep the tank full.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00822.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	144.5 KB 
ID:	210886Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00819.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	146.4 KB 
ID:	210882Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00818.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	139.9 KB 
ID:	210885Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00820.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	141.9 KB 
ID:	210884Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00821.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	148.2 KB 
ID:	210883

Water Box: Well, I must have been working too fast for my own good when I put the stinger in last time. The water box was pushed back so I didn't get a good seat on the stinger. I removed the water box and found a large piece of the cat! Just a flat 3"X2" curved outer piece of it. But I'm sure that's enough to clog up the holes in the baffle of the water box. I flushed, flushed and flushed but nothing else came out and I didn't hear anything else moving around.

Off to the beach. This has got to fix it. I'm not sure what else is left.

+1

Cool

Took the ski out. Lake was nice, slight chop. Ski ran great then went back to bogging. At that point I had no ideas left, so I just rode it while it bogged.

After a few circles around I'd park at the beach, chill out. Then run out again. It stopped bogging as often, then just started running like a monster.

Ran for over an hour and it ran crisp, clean and I'm extremely happy! Weird, but I'm not asking questions.Screw it, I'm sick of working on it.

I spoke with a guy from Jet Ski Solutions, he's sending out my clunks and some fuel line tomorrow.

I have to say it was a good day.

+1
    By the way, HOLY CAVITATION!

I'm going to have to get that taken care of over the winter.

With good throttle control it's not bad but just pegging it is like slamming the gas in a Mustang.

Thread Information