My First GP1200R Rebuild: Thought I would share

So I purchased this 2000 GP1200R. Owner said it just needed the "carbs cleaned". After getting it to fire, the loud chatter of a bad piston had me scared...which sparked the tear down you see below.
    Sadly enough...as you will also see, catastrophic failure was eminent, hence the hole in the side of the crankcase.

So...my "carb cleaining" exercise has now turned into a complete rebuild. I am a gear head, but more specialized in vintage hot rods and muscle cars. If anyone has any advice...or knows of anyone with a good motor, or at least a crank case and #3 cylinder, I would greatly appreciate it. This is my first rebuild and it saddens me that summer may come to an end without having this puppy in the water!! Yeh...I have the nice little 800XLT sitting beside it...but it just doesn't have the same thrill as the cahoonas of the 1200.....

Thanks all!!
    Wolfie

More Album Pics here:
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/album.php?albumid=1037

Welcome to the forum! Check the classifieds section, people are always parting out skis, sometimes you can find a whole 1200 or 1300 motor from someone swapping in a 4-stroke. Good luck getting it back on the water, keep us updated.

+1
    i know the feeling. keep an eye out for a while before crumbling and getting sbt stuff

true dat!! I did find a 1300R motor out of an 08 model with 0 hours. From my understanding, everything pretty much lines up...if I can just come up with the cash for it! Story of my life. Toys...*sigh*...

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk..

Try not to smile on a Jetski... GPRFrank's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by hailwolfie View Post
    true dat!! I did find a 1300R motor out of an 08 model with 0 hours. From my understanding, everything pretty much lines up...if I can just come up with the cash for it! Story of my life. Toys...*sigh*...
    Welcome Everything does line up but keep in mind you will also need the complete electronics and exhaust, This is if you wanna keep that 08 motor EFI Also you may want to buy a H/O pump instead of your 1200 pump. Where are you located?

I'm in Ohio...

Good point. Mine's a 2000, so it's the days before EFI. I think i'm gonna look for a stock 1200r for easy replacement without getting into piece mealing it together. Might be a good idea since it is my first project...

Try not to smile on a Jetski... GPRFrank's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by hailwolfie View Post
    I'm in Ohio...

Good point. Mine's a 2000, so it's the days before EFI. I think i'm gonna look for a stock 1200r for easy replacement without getting into piece mealing it together. Might be a good idea since it is my first project...
    Thats a fun and rewarding project. There is a set of cases in the Yamaha classified section now. They look clean. Tear yours down and lets take a look at what parts can be salvaged.....

Thread Information