Thread: 785 question

Question 785 question

i got a old 93 polairs sl750 and i keep hearing all kinds of good things about these 785 will a 785 motor fit in a sl750 hull and what other things do i need to make that motor run? the hull was just a parts hull the motor burned a hole in the pto and the mag piston and was left out side so it gots plenty of that custom rust in the motor i paid 100 bucks for it and used some of the guts and the jet pump was still good so will a 785 motor fit in a sl750 hull and do i use the 750 drive shaft and jet pump? whats so different from the 750 and 785 is it just bigger jugs and pistons?
    thanks for your help

You would spend way more money getting it together than you would spend buying one that is running. There is one for sale in the ny craigslist. The pro 785 hull is much more agressive and handles like a dream, the sl hull is playfull and slippery, in my opinion the 785 would be way too much motor for the sl hull, even with sponsons, extended ride plate and extended pump.
    My 785 was a basket case and I have over 3k into it, and It still needs a few hundred more thrown at it.
    If I could do it all over again I think I would buy a pro 1200, in excellent condition of course!

so what is a pretty great ski thats great on the water and fun to play with but on the other side gets up and goes? and what to do with the old sl hull? what other motor will fit in the sl hull?

If your looking for a project there is an msx 150 in the classifieds, the sl hull is outdated, I would strip and sell the good parts then junk it, but if you want to put a new motor in it, I would go with the 780, it has the most bang for the buck.

Yeah me too! Ive got way too much money into a 750 that I thought was going to be an easy fix when I started.

Quote Originally Posted by thester71 View Post
    You would spend way more money getting it together than you would spend buying one that is running. There is one for sale in the ny craigslist. The pro 785 hull is much more agressive and handles like a dream, the sl hull is playfull and slippery, in my opinion the 785 would be way too much motor for the sl hull, even with sponsons, extended ride plate and extended pump.
    My 785 was a basket case and I have over 3k into it, and It still needs a few hundred more thrown at it.
    If I could do it all over again I think I would buy a pro 1200, in excellent condition of course!
    I ended up putting way too much money into 750 build, That was going to be an easy fix when I started. I could have bought an already running boat for hundreds cheaper.

whats the differance on the sl and the slt i was gave a sl750 that was all there and a parts one and i have took the t-stat out of the cooling system and new plugs rebuilt the carbs and put the other pto coupler on it and 3 new seals on the drive shaft and a new battery the new triple out put fuel pump and i got the oil block off plate on order going to do that next and new fuel lines and i hope thats would be it it's been a great learning lesson i'm a mechanic for honda and i'm kinda new to this hole 2 cycle thing and i only got a little over 300 bucks in it. but i take it to the lake and it runs great but it take a little while to get up to speed pop off pressuer is 15 psi so.... enough with the
    what would be a good project i got a friend that has a stand up js440 that needs rings and only wants 100 for it not sure what year would that be something to look in to?

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    There's tons of info you're asking about in the tech section. Please take a look around.

Also check out K447 sig links. He's got a post dedicated to all the different Polaris skis

Thread Information