+1

Thumbs up RXP learnings this summer

Oil pressure regulators can get sticky and may need replacing if you get oil puking out of your catch can and OIL alarms. But it is more common for sensors to go bad, so replace the sensor in the block under the TB/intake manifold first after making sure oil level is correct.

Getting cam timing correct after removing the head/cam/chain can be tricky. Verify cam timing before final assembly by checking compression; depending on where the cam bolts are in the slots, compression should be somewhere from 125(retarded) – 150(advanced) psi. If it is lower than 120 psi, you may be off a tooth. Advanced position in the slots will yield the highest compression. Idle should be smooth, somewhere between 1750 – 1850 cold. Irregular idle indicates cam timing is off, as does rough running in the 2200 – 2800 rpm range in the water. Test with a fully charged battery, 2 out of 3 spark plugs IN, throttle pulled WOT (coils out).

Viton SC seals work great. If you are running an X charger or bigger SC and have oil in your air intake and IC and IC tubes, it is very likely the oil seal under your SC impeller is deformed due to heat, and is leaking oil into the SC. Replacing the seal is not difficult and will usually resolve your oil leaks, getting your performance back to optimum. Clean your IC out too while you are doing this upgrade.

Versiplugs work great! Eliminate/cut off the stock ‘snout’ and ball inside the hull and they work even better. My hull stays so much drier as any water that gets in quickly goes out the back after a couple of quick high speed blasts.

I think the R&D grate girdle and Speedfreeks lip protector are both very important to have on your ski, especially if you are going close to 80 mph or more. Blowing out a pump shoe is ugly and replacing one is no fun at all … these two parts are very smart preventative steps to keeping your pump shoe intact.

Carbon seals can last a long time … what usually happens is that the rubber accordion boot eventually loses its tension. You can make it last longer and stop leaking by using some method to push the boot forward or put more tension back on it. I like skinny plastic tubing with a GOOD big zip tie run through it; cut a piece of plastic tubing to fit 90% around the rubber boot, slide a zip tie thru it, and tie it up snug so that it expands the accordion boot more. Don’t overtighten it, just have it tight enough to push the boot ‘folds’ apart a bit, but don’t constrict the boot itself at all. LOTS of pressure on this tho … anything but the best zip ties (metal clips) will eventually get blown off.

Worry less, ride more! I only GPS’d once this year … based on my rpms, prop & nozzle size I know roughly how fast I am going. Depending on heat and humidity, I am going anywhere from 80.5 – 82+ mph … and that’s good enough for me. We have had a very hot summer and most days 80 – 90 degree air and 75+ degree water and I am down 200 rpms from spring and have not bothered to even swap nozzle rings … I just don’t care. The ski has been maintenance free and soooo fun to ride, that I am enjoying not wrenching on it and just riding it.

I keep a bit of a diary of weather/temp and rpms I pull. Based on that, I can look at the temps/weather and predict within 50 rpm what rpms I will run that day. I always inspect my Groco strainer, hull bottom, intake grate, air intake, oil level, then just go ride. If rpms hit my prediction, all is good.

My ski now has 240+ hours on it, 150 psi compression still, and this has been the most fun, carefree summer I have ever had with it. I probably have 240 hours of wrench time on the ski as well, but this summer it has been maintenance free and so fun, the previous hours of wrench time feel worth it. Just wanted to share a few things I learned this year …
    Last edited by Vern; 08-17-2010 at 10:55 AM. Reason: spacing needed

+1
    +1. Nice writeup Vern. The versiplugs are the drain plugs that look like a small boot sticking out the back right? I always wanted them but never bought them.

Speedfreeks shoe protector is a very nice piece like u mentioned. I run it and highly recommend it. Pretty easy to install and good insurance against flexing and breaking the lip of the pump shoe.

Glad your season went well for ya. I had a blast riding this year also.

+1
    http://www.shop.pwcdoctor.com is where to get the Versiplugs.

Yup, great summer ... with the upgraded X charger, Riva rear air, and GH waterbox, I get tons of people looking and listening ... even the Water Patrol (cops) have pulled me over to ask about the ski and the SC noise. I watched a friend ride it and it was interesting ... at 80+ mph it is VERY obvious that the ski is flying compared to most anything else on the water. He told me that other people on shore have freaked a bit and told Dan "that ski looks like its going 85 mph". When I saw Dan go past me at WOT, I now know what they mean. Lots of work and knowledge needed to get and keep an 80+mph ski going, but with the sound and speed, it sure is a huge attention getter ...

+1
    Kool, thankx for the link vern. So these just have a check valve in them then? I was thinking of the duckbill type ones. Maybe Ill give them a try.

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    Nice write up.

+1
    Yes, the Versiplugs got good reviews from other users on GH and I totally agree, really like them. They just have a ball in them, kind like the stockers, but they work way better. Great investment (along with a good bilge pump of course!).

Thread Information