Question Impeller question for YAMAHA FX HO 2006

I have a Yamaha FX HO 160 ( year 2006)

I already have a SOLAS DYNAFLY 14/20 Impeller ( with air filter, velocity stacks, FF, rideplate and intake grate)

My motor turns at about 9000 rpm (not at 10200-10300 rpm as expected, I don't know why ...) Do you have any ideas about this lack of rpm ?

I would to know if my ski will go faster by replacing my Impeller by a SOLAS Dynafly 13/19 ...

To sum up, does a SOLAS dynafly 13/19 should be really better than a SOLAS Dynafly 14/20 on my ski (FX HO 2006) ?

Thanks again for help and your explanations

Best Regards,
    Rodrigue

+1
    I'm not familiar with your ski but it seems like something is amiss. Yes, going from a 14/20 to a 13/19 will get the RPMs up, but only a couple hundred or so. Not 1200.

Like I said that's just coming from experience from the SHO platform.

Ok
    So I shouldn't expected to go faster with the 13/19 even if i will gain on rpm ?

+1
    If you gain RPM on top end you will normally gain speed as well.

I was just mentioning your RPMs are down quite a bit and that prop pitch may not be the problem. But then again the disclaimer is that I've only got experience on the SHO platform so your situation could be different!

+1
    are you using a after market tachometer to watch your rpm's ? also did you verify that the prop is a tru 14/20 and not bigger? you basically have the rpm kit, with that you should be a little over 10,000 rpm's and your at 9,000 rpms maybe your problem is elsewhere, try putting the stock prop back on and see where your rpm's are at

Quote Originally Posted by 305coco View Post
    are you using a after market tachometer to watch your rpm's ? also did you verify that the prop is a tru 14/20 and not bigger? you basically have the rpm kit, with that you should be a little over 10,000 rpm's and your at 9,000 rpms maybe your problem is elsewhere, try putting the stock prop back on and see where your rpm's are at
    No I'm using the OEM tachometer...
    i have bought Solas dynafly 14/20 few month at 4tecperformance store.
    There were a 14/20 written on the impeller itself wo I think that it's a true 14/20.

My stock impeller is damaged unfortunately...
    But I don't have a 13/19 and I don't know I will have the same or worst performance...

+1
    Doesn't matter what the #'s are on the prop--they normally aren't even close to what's on the prop (not sure why but that seems to be the case). Prop pitch is only verified by a prop pitch gauge.

Like 305coco said above, try to find a stocker and stick her back in. You could probably get one fairly cheap here on the forum.

I'm not sure how accurate the stock tach is. Did it ever read ~10K RPM's? I thought those did that in stock form.

I have the stacks etc. on my 2007 fxho, and regularly see 10,300 rpm ( it gets a bit blurry though ) on the stock tach. I suggest that the best way to check whether your tach is reading incorrectly, is to borrow a gps and see what your top speed is.

If your top speed is 57 to 60 mph at 9000 rpm, then your tach is under-reading by 1000 revs.

Quote Originally Posted by 5001craig View Post
    Doesn't matter what the #'s are on the prop--they normally aren't even close to what's on the prop (not sure why but that seems to be the case). Prop pitch is only verified by a prop pitch gauge.

Like 305coco said above, try to find a stocker and stick her back in. You could probably get one fairly cheap here on the forum.

I'm not sure how accurate the stock tach is. Did it ever read ~10K RPM's? I thought those did that in stock form.
    Before I never matter if my engine runs at 10K rpm's. I focus on it once i have installed the velocity stacks and FF exhaust...
    I don't think that my OEM tachometer is defective as at idle run, i read 1,500 rpm (wich is good as far as I konw...)
    I will try to test my speed with GPS...

Quote Originally Posted by 5001craig View Post

Before I never matter if my engine runs at 10K rpm's. I focus on it once i have installed the velocity stacks and FF exhaust...
    I don't think that my OEM tachometer is defective as at idle run, i read 1,500 rpm (wich is good as far as I konw...)
    I will try to test my speed with GPS...

Thread Information