Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2000 polaris genesis ficht codes 81 82 83

i am not able to get the 81 82 83 codes from coming back i have erased them several times and i keep getting check engine and light. misses at top end and around 4000rpm. is it possible that the capacitor is bad or going out?? i have cleaned and reinstalled coils and all grounds i do have a good ground on the coils. any help would be greatly appreciated. thank you

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    The capacitor test is simple enough.

Connect volt meter to White/Red wire and engine ground (without unplugging any injectors).

Start engine, voltage should jump up to around 45 volts.

Stop engine, and monitor voltage.

The injector voltage supply should NOT suddenly drop to zero. The DC voltage should gradually decay over multiple seconds. A gradual voltage decay indicates the capacitor is working properly.

thanks k447 i removed the capacitor to bring it home with me today from the lake i was planning on having the capacitor tested at my local shop tommorow to see if it is any good. i do know that they cant test cap under load but claimed that they can tell if it is bad or good. i did notice after removing cap from rubber boot that the two terminals were loose on top of cap.would a bad cap cause the coils to send the 81 82 83 codes?? the only thing that i could think of other than emm.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rspray View Post
    ....after removing cap from rubber boot that the two terminals were loose on top of cap.

would a bad cap cause the coils to send the 81 82 83 codes?...
    Loose terminals on the capacitor? Replace it.

Did you have fun removing the rubber boot from the capacitor

thanks for the reply k447 i should have been more clear on the loose terminals. the terminals them selfs are ok but the screws that hold the wires down to the terminals were loose the purple wire was a little loose but the white\red wire was very loose the lock washer was not compressed and i could wiggle the wire around quite a bit i did not notice this till i got home. this could be my problem why i am getting these coil primary open.as the check engine light comes and goes.from the wire being loose. what do you think? thanks again for all of your help also the boot was par for the course of working on this machine. everything seems to be a fight and that little boot was no different it was quite fun.

+1
    The EMM self-diagnostics can be fooled by unexpected (by the EMM designers) problems.

Loose capacitor connections could possibly be triggering the fault codes you are seeing. You would have to re-install the capacitor and try it.

thanks again k447 for your help. has anybody ever had a capacitor go bad or have a loose or bad connection between the capacitor and the coils\emm.and get a 81 82 83 codes??i am hoping that the loose cap connection is what is causing the miss in the engine and the codes being tripped.the check engine light is somewhat intermitent.or is this pointing to the emm still? thanks for your help.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rspray View Post
    thanks again k447 for your help. has anybody ever had a capacitor go bad or have a loose or bad connection between the capacitor and the coils\emm.and get a 81 82 83 codes??i am hoping that the loose cap connection is what is causing the miss in the engine and the codes being tripped.the check engine light is somewhat intermitent.or is this pointing to the emm still? thanks for your help.
    You will have to re-install that capacitor and try it.

Hi guys, I have exactly the same problem on my 2003 genesis I fault codes 81,82,83 which I cannot remove and lumpy around 4000rpm ran it last weekend and fine at top end ok at tick over but check engine light comes on. I have checked earths and moved fiber washers to improve coil earth, I have checked resistances of coils and they appear ok, I have checked boat earth, I have checked resistances between EMM plug and Coil, no resistance there, following this thread I have just checked my capacitor and up to 45 volts and slow decay when I switch off, connections to capacitor are sound. Previously cleared fault codes and received an 11 code but now I cannot appear to clear the codes using a spare TPS ? any ideas K447? did you resolve your problem rspray?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluerich3 View Post
    Hi guys, I have exactly the same problem on my 2003 Genesis I fault codes 81,82,83 which I cannot remove and lumpy around 4000rpm ran it last weekend and fine at top end, ok at tick over but check engine light comes on.

I have checked earths and moved fiber washers to improve coil earth, I have checked resistances of coils and they appear ok, I have checked boat earth, I have checked resistances between EMM plug and Coil, no resistance there, following this thread I have just checked my capacitor and up to 45 volts and slow decay when I switch off, connections to capacitor are sound.

Previously cleared fault codes and received an 11 code but now I cannot appear to clear the codes using a spare TPS ...
    Welcome to the Hulk

Sounds like you have covered the bases.

I would say it is time to send the EMM off to DFI Technologies for check-up and probable repair.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information